Case upgrade - Will micro ATX fit into ATX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStarr003

Baseband Member
I got my computer as a gift and am looking to add a second internal hard drive, but my case is too small. I found a few cases I really like but they are form factor ATX. I have a micro ATX.

If I went and bought the ATX case, would it work with the micro ATX form factor, or am I stuck with this design?

Most cases have screw placement for risers for all sizes of boards. When you are looking Just look at motherboard compatibility in the specs and it will tell you if your board will work.

Some of the really old proprietary boards had different screw placements, like HP, Compaq, Dell, but I am talking 5-7+ years old. If it is newer than that it should be standard.

Some of the really old proprietary boards had different screw placements, like HP, Compaq, Dell, but I am talking 5-7+ years old. If it is newer than that it should be standard.

It's an Intel board and the computer is a little over a year old.

Care to give us the model number so that we can double check?
Also what larger cases are you thinking of?

Seems perculiar that there isn't room for an addition of an extra hdd normally there is a bit of room in there.

Care to give us the model number so that we can double check?
Also what larger cases are you thinking of?

Seems perculiar that there isn't room for an addition of an extra hdd normally there is a bit of room in there.

Sorry, but which model number are you asking for, If it is my moboard, it is Intel DG965OT.

The case I have is Antec New Solution NSK3480 and the problem with space is because how the top part of the case is constructed. It is mostly enclosed and has a small round hole in which to route the wiring from the power unit and other devices in the 5.2 drive bays. Right now I only have the PSU and the cd/dvd rom drive routed through there and it is already extremely tight and the wires are being twisted and pulled through the small hole. I do have an open drive bay, but the remaining space for the wires to go through is tight. My existing hard drive is anchored to the bottom of the case and as a result, one of the slots on my moboard is unusable too.

How about opening up a new hole in that upper section? I am looking at your case and it is kinda a stupid design. Why wouldn't they give you enough room for cables? Any way you will not have any problems with a new case.

How about opening up a new hole in that upper section? I am looking at your case and it is kinda a stupid design. Why wouldn't they give you enough room for cables? Any way you will not have any problems with a new case.

I wish I knew about that design flaw before the part was purchased for me.
As far as enlarging the hole, I thought about that, but if I try to cut a new hole, I will just have to take it apart anyway and if I'm going to do that I may as well just go all the way and upgrade the case.

I kind of like the ones with the clear side window and the blue led lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom