Case + PSU Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a grand total of 30 minutes to take out the processor/HDD/optical drive from the Dell, it's now scrap. Also salvaged video card, i imagine i can sell it on for like £20 or so but I don't think anyone would be looking for it anyway, so i might keep it handy for troubleshooting or something. Can't think of any uses for it so far.

The windows ISO i got my hands on works... i tested it last night so that's made me a happy chappy, still need to buy windows (I don't like MS but I don't believe in pirating software... unless it's EA, I haven't forgotten CnC4 yet!!) but I can wait until payday for that (£100 of my pay already dedicated to it).

Considering going for this 2TB HDD: Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If you have any better suggestions in that size/price bracket feel free!

Had issues clearing the current 1TB HDD... tried to DBAN the thing but it wasn't playing the game for whatever reason. Anybody know any good programs for completely restoring a drive to as close to it's factory capacity as possible? I want to start completely afresh but I have a feeling Dell have done something which makes the partitions a bit dodgy or whatever. DBAN didn't recognize any of the other 4 parts, it saw the HDD though. I don't get it ^^

That's an update for now, case comes at 17:00-18:00 so stoked for that. Salvaged the fan in the Dell too, i should add.. more cooling = win! :D

Planning to add some colour fans to the setup too, red + blue specifically with filters to reduce dust.

that 2Tb hd is a green drive. it will be ok if you just want to put files and media on it, but it probably shouldnt be used for programs.

So... I have assembled everything and when I shove my graphics card in and turn it on there is no signal sent to my screen. I tried it with my old card as well which I know for a fact works.

HELP!!

Plug it in?

Okay.. Ensure All the plugs are in. CPU 4/8 Pin, 20/24 pin, and gpu plug?
You did use the brass satandoffs to support the mobo?
Ensure RAMs seated and in the right spots
Is the case power switch in right?
Is the psu switched on?
Is it plugged into the wall?

Um basically double check everything. Did this board have an onboard?

Plug it in?

Okay.. Ensure All the plugs are in. CPU 4/8 Pin, 20/24 pin, and gpu plug?
You did use the brass satandoffs to support the mobo?
Ensure RAMs seated and in the right spots
Is the case power switch in right?
Is the psu switched on?
Is it plugged into the wall?

Um basically double check everything. Did this board have an onboard?
No onboard...but...

I think it was my new RAM.. i got it working now with the new RAM though :D

New problem is that the resolution won't go to my screen's native 1920x1080.. I am however downloading the newest drivers straight from EVGA's website....

I suppose I should link some pictures, no? :p

320337_10150298575881274_593186273_8172500_1229233489_n.jpg

301431_10150298573341274_593186273_8172498_1357650667_n.jpg

I need to get the resolution up to 1920x1080 though, i hated it at first but it grew on me... and the screen looks ridiculous at this 1600x1024 or so.

By the way, you're right, I am happy... strange feeling building your own computer and using it... now just for that hard drive.

Oh and with regards to OEM software, I think it dies with the hard disk, I didn't have to reinstall the OS.... or transfer data. I still intend to buy a new HDD and do a clean install of a newly bought Win 7 Premium though... feel like I need to start afresh.

Still, don't know what I was doing wrong in the first place ^^

Oh and sorry for poor quality, it was my iPhone and apparently apple don't like flash and high megapixel cameras.. makes too much sense

you wont be able to get a higher resolution until the graphics drivers are installed.
Oh i did that already, it's fixed and all that anyway.

Still, it's not detecting my monitor which is a pain in the backside.. think it's something to do with the DVI to VGA most likely. The adapter causes the card not to detect what kinda monitor it is (the radeon knew what the monitor was, an LG2000 or something like that).

Cheers for the help anyway, I'll probably get a DVI monitor next to complete the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom