Originally Posted by patonb
Trust me... Oil industry isn't a garentee... I'm a Metullurgist in the Oil capital of Canada... Last year was pretty rough. Jobs dried up pretty bad in the oil sands. But its back up so I'm buisy.
I'm not a RAM Guy, so i can't help you out there. Yes that board only has 2 ram spots, but running 4 sticks saddens your computer. 8gigs is plenty in a 4x2.. I think that ram for 230 is its original price in the 50's or something...
From what I know your first choice is a bit better at 9-9-9-24 vs 9-9-9-27
Having an onboard is nice for trouble shooting, and for a media server in a 2nd life. Now don't get me wrong those boards you posted are VERY nice, but a bit overkill...
If all else fails I'll become a hippy and build wind turbines.
So ... snap up the expensive ones or the cheap? I've priced everything I intend to buy and it's sitting around £300. With the OS I am getting a 1TB HDD too which is sweet. I'll have those 4 sticks of RAM spare so I could sell those on or hold onto them for a future project.
I tore apart (literally) my Dad's old desktop and I have a 256mb stick of RAM... so maybe I'll keep the gigs for lulz?
Anyway I'll summarise my intentions in this post I guess. You green light and I'll go ahead with the debit card.
Processor: i3-550 @ 3.2GHz Dual Core (already owned in current machine
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
(1GBx4 sticks in current machine spare, sell?)
GPU: EVGA GTX 460, on the way already Link
PSU: Corsair AX 650W Link
OS: Win7 64 bit with 1TB Seagate (bundle) Link
HDD: Seagate 1TB above + 1TB Western Digital onboard current computer (any maintenance on this required before reinstallation? I saw a recovery partition when I was messing around with disk management today)
Case: BitFenixy Thing Link
Cooling: I could use the stock one in the Dell, but would this be more appropriate... link
Total for required parts/software = £295-£300 including delivery
If only I had done this at the start of the year before buying this Dell, although I wonder if I would have saved money or not ^^
All in all this "upgrade" is costing more than the PC was worth in the first place... I guess it's a build now you could say :P teh irony? I think so.
My only question would be what to do with the Dell PSU/Casing and such? The stuff I don't need... I don't think it'll be easy to pawn this stuff off. Should I keep it for a future build or something to that effect?
Oh and if wind turbines fail me, I'll design fancy tin cans... a backup of a backup? BACKUPCEPTION?
PS: Sorry for the tl;dr nature of this post but I like to be over 9000% before throwing £300 around ^^
Will the dual slot card fit on the mobo btw?
Had a sudden side-thought. Instead of buying a new OS, could I borrow someone's Win 7, install and use the trial version for the trial period and then upgrade after that? It would be easier on my budget to do that, since i get paid in 3 weeks and I'm sure there's a trial for 30 days ... no?
Also another mobo to consider for £65 used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-...5934582&sr=1-2