Which card for 19" monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude112

In Runtime
A friend mine is in need of a new videocard. He wants to get an ati 4870 but I thought it might be overkill and his psu might not be able to handle it.

His specs (a Dell Inspiron 531):
19" monitor (1280*1024)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
4gb ram
300 watt psu (no idea how many amps)

Maybe a 4850 is better or even a 4670 or is a 4870 fine?

if you could find a 4770 then i would go for that, if not all you really need is a 9800GT/4830

how much is he spending?

if you could find a 4770 then i would go for that, if not all you really need is a 9800GT/4830

how much is he spending?

Wow this forum always has swift replies :)
to answer your question, he's willing to buy a 4870 so everything below is within his budget.
But yea as 95BlackGA says, my concern is the psu and monitor and maybe the cpu as a bottleneck?

4870=130 euro's inc shipping
4770=90
4670=70

dual core dosen't mean 2 cpu's :p
it is what the name suggests, one cpu, with 2 cores.

- go with what they said

hehe oh yea I missed that. I just copy pasted. it was like that with dxdiag or something.
I'll advice him a 4670 thanks.

The 4670 requires 400W minimum, if its a Dell then the PSU is gonna be average at best. Id say make sure the PC can take a standard powersupply and then get these:

Newegg.com - MSI R4830-T2D512 Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

(I know your not from the states but this way you can at least get the specs and proper name of the items)

The 4670 requires 400W minimum, if its a Dell then the PSU is gonna be average at best.

oh I just assumed it had really low power consumption since it doesn't need a power connector...

he doesn't want to get a new psu because it's too pricey...

Is that 400watt minimum a real necessity?
He hasn't got anything oc'ed.

oh I just assumed it had really low power consumption since it doesn't need a power connector...

I'll put it this way. I have a cheap 250W PSU in my HTPC. I have a AMD 4050e, oc'ed to 2.7Ghz, ram oc'ed to 910Mhz, 4 drives (1 dvdrw combo drive, 3 hard drives) a radeon 3450, a network card, and a sound card. The 3450 "requires" a 350W PSU.

Now for safety :

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU RUN A COMPUTER LIKE THAT!!!

If your friend is afraid of burning up parts, get a new power supply.

You're right, it doesn't "require" 400w, because its peak output is like 75w or something really low, that's inclusive of every part in the rig (and they over exaggerate that anyways).

But I still wouldn't recommend running it in a 300w Dell, because their PSU's are a bit..... trashy

Best option is, get an HD 4850 (usually around the same price as the HD 4770, and buy one of the PC Power and Cooling Dell PSU Upgrades)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom