Can't play my games!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam1990

Beta member
Hello

Before I go on, can I just point out that I'm not a computer expert. So please keep your answers as simple as possible.

Anyway, I'm having problems playing games on my relatively new computer. For example, games like FarCry are unplayable due to the screen flashing and moving at snail pace. I can't even play Last Chaos (free MMORPG - www.lastchaos-usa.com) because the game moves so slowly.

Heres my spec: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
512 RAM
Radeon 9200 SE

I've been told that its either my RAM or graphics card thats the problem, so could someone verify that and show me what I should buy to eliminate the problem (as cheap as possible, I haven't bought a new game since FarCryand don't intend to, I just want to play free MMORPG's like Last Chaos and Anarchy Online without it pausing and crashing)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: UK suppliers only please.

Try updating your drivers and getting patches. That would allow you to run FarCry decently without spending more cash. And since you don't have too much ram and only an okay graphics card, I advise keeping quality and resolution on lower settings.

If you wish to upgrade, then I advise getting another gig of ram and an x850 Pro. They're both pretty cheap but will really raise performance.
With the RAM, find out how many pins you have, what type of RAM it is, and what clock speed your current RAM is. Also find out if you have an empty slot. For the graphics card, find out if you have an AGP or PCIE slot. And I understand that you want to keep it simple, so you should get CPU-Z. CPU-Z is safe and easy to use. Launch it and click on the memory tab to check the RAM, and go to the mainboard tab to check the graphics card type.

A list of RAM; get CPU-Z and find out which one you need. This will cost around $100.
PCIE Graphics Card This will cost $125 after rebate.
AGP Graphics Card This will cost $100 after rebate.
More powerful PCIE Graphics Card This is $156 after rebate.

Newegg is trusted and has great prices, so you can be confident when you buy. I also have recently been researching graphics cards and know the good cards fairly well, and those listed above are good deals.

Thanks alot mate, can anyone else add anything to that?

Also, is there a reliable website I could visit to get the drivers/patches?

manufacturer's websites are the most reliable place for driver updates. But ATi has in the past dropped downloads for older video cards... check their site but if it isn't there you'll have to find another place to get it.

Also if I remember correctly, the 9200's were good for OCing. If you see yourself getting a new PC sometime in the next 6-9 months, Id say OC that thing, install new drivers, and upgrade your RAM and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom