cant load windows after mobo upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopatroopa

Beta member
hi guys and gals,
ive just upgraded my motherboardand im having trouble loading windows again. i dont want to format my hd and i heard that i didnt need to for upgrading my mobo. ive done the upgrade and formatted one of my hd's and reloaded windows, but the problem is with the second hd which is also running windows (xp media center), it contains all the files i need. some one told me that i can repair windows and it will reload all my drivers and my files will stay in tact. if i insert the windows cd choose to repair, thyen i select the drive i want to repair, put in the admin password, then it comes up with dos, what command do i type to start the repair?

any help would be greatly appreciated

regards

thanks, ok a format is the best option but i need files off my second hd, which arent accessable through the first it says access is denied, can you help me with the codeing for the dos section of the repair or suggest a way i can get my files from the second hd?

You're at the wrong repair option. Also, when you reformat the operating system hard drive, the 2nd hard drive will not be touched.

To do the repair install they're talking about, you follow the option to install windows like you're doing a fresh install. Then when it says you already have an OS installed on that drive it should give you the option to reformat, or do a repair install. You will not need any commands or anything like that. Doing a repair install will leave all your files on both drives intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom