Can you split up a 1gb kit of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
My computer used to have a 1gb kit of RAM in 2 512meg sticks. Unfortunately it seems one of them has died, so I need to replace it. Is there any reason why I can't just get another 512 stick to put in there? Or is there some significance to the 1gb kits other than them simply being 2 512meg sticks sold together?
Also if I have the option of say getting a 1gb stick to replace the 512meg, giving me 1512meg of RAM, would it be worth it? It seems whenever I hear about people having RAM it's always 512, 1gb, 2 gb. Why don't people get 768 or 1512?

You can, but I would suggest you to just buy 1 stick of RAM. It's cheaper then buying 2 512MB RAM's. What's the model of your RAM? To check you can either open up your computer, while it is turned off and take out the RAM. It should put the model number on the manufacturer's sticker. If you don't feel comfortable about opening up your case, you can download a program called CPU-Z, and check your RAM model through there.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9961/spd3014ei7.jpg

That's a pic of the output of my 512 stick. Money isn't really an issue, it's a family computer so I wont be paying for it. So what would be the best option, a new 512 stick, a new 1gb stick or a new 1gb kit? Will I have to get the same type of RAM as is currently in there, PC3200 200Mhz?

Why do I need to get the same type, can't you have different type sticks in the same computer? I was just looking up some prices from the place I usually use (I'm from Australia) and I've found a 1gb Corsair PC5400 kit for pretty cheap. Though I don't know what they actually mean I imagine PC5400 is faster than PC3200, if I did get this 1gb kit would it mean I couldn't use the old 512 stick as well to have 1512?

The reason that you'll be needing to get the same model is that because it's the model your motherboard supports. Yes, the PC5400 is faster then a PC3200 but that's how it is. You have to use RAM that your motherboard supports, otherwise you will probably be messing up the RAM or messing up the motherboard. Yes you will be able to use a stick of RAM along with another 512mb but, you will need 4 slots of RAM. Unless you're planning to buy 1 stick of GB then there is only a need for 2. 1GB of RAM and a 512MB will be 1532MB of RAM which is 1GB and a 512MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom