Can we fix it? Most probably not..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuauld

Solid State Member
But it's worth a try anyway

Alright, just registered here, so how's every little thang going , everyone?

Ok now I won't lie. I didn't come here for the pleasentries. I came here for some useful information.

A year or 2 ago, I decided it was time to learn to build a PC. Of course, the difference between my interpretation of learning, and really learning, was that to really learn you have to read manuals.

Now I know.

I decided to spend a ridiculous amount of money, and a minimum of patience, on a whole computer. Having thought it through, I decided the right thing to do would be to lob the **** thing into my cupboard , along with all the other expensive goods I should have refunded.

It has passed my mind, claiming a refund, but i'd rather not get my *** kicked by the people I bought the gear from, for you know, fraud (seeing as i'm really unsure if this kit even works). Here's what remains of what once was a fully functioning PC (potentially):

An Abit Motherboard, AMD Sempron 2600+ CPU, 512mb of RAM, a graphics card, and an old 80 gig hard drive.

Now, before you answer, this stuff has been in an open box, with other stuff rubbing against it, like scarves, footballs, legs (Ok, not legs). I'm gonna place my money on saying that most of this kit is buggered, but i'd like to make sure before I throw it in the bin (or out the window, at an innocent passer by):

IMAG0052.jpg

Just incase you werent sure what a motherboard looked like.

Anyway, any information on this would be much appreciated. Tests I can do or something, to see if this can still work?

P.S. The CPU is most definately buggered, several pins are bent and it's been lying with the motherboard in the notoriously dirty cupboard. Is it possible to reshape this with tweezers, or a hammer (Probably the former), or should I just take a hammer to everything?

Take her easy,

Jamie :beard:

I would try to fix the pins on the processor.

Then i would build it and post back when its built.

If you hit the power button and the computer doesn't start thats why you have us at TF.

If you hit the power button and the computer starts and it beeps tell us how many beeps there are and thats also what we at TF do...

well you don't really know untill you try

ps it might work because I had a computer with no side panel sitting in my damp basement that was covered in dust and cob webs and after it was cleaned it worked so just give it a try and see if it works

Alright, well thanks alot both of you, appreciate the help.

Get paid this Friday so i'll try and make a start on this.

Cheers,
Jamie

The processors that work for your mobo runs around 50-60 dollars, so don't be too sad if the old one is broken.

That's alright, i'm fairly sure the processor is totalled but i'm hoping the motherboard's still going .

Cheers

Jamie

It's a pretty good processor for the cost, but if you add few extra £ you could get a way better one. :)

OH it's a socket A. Yeah thats the best you can get, AFAIK.

Quality stuff. Thanks for the help mate.(And for using a £ sign, even though your from Cali )

Jamie

To straighten your pins w/o breaking them, use a lead pencil (mechanical pencil). Take the lead out, and use the barrel... slide it over a bent pin all the way to the bend, and then SLOWLY, CAREFULLY straighten it.

Even if the CPU and mobo is dirty, just use compressed air to clean it. if it needs more than that, use a lint-free cloth and alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom