Can we fix it? Most probably not.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Can we fix it? Most probably not..

But it's worth a try anyway

Alright, just registered here, so how's every little thang going , everyone?

Ok now I won't lie. I didn't come here for the pleasentries. I came here for some useful information.

A year or 2 ago, I decided it was time to learn to build a PC. Of course, the difference between my interpretation of learning, and really learning, was that to really learn you have to read manuals.

Now I know.

I decided to spend a ridiculous amount of money, and a minimum of patience, on a whole computer. Having thought it through, I decided the right thing to do would be to lob the **** thing into my cupboard , along with all the other expensive goods I should have refunded.

It has passed my mind, claiming a refund, but i'd rather not get my *** kicked by the people I bought the gear from, for you know, fraud (seeing as i'm really unsure if this kit even works). Here's what remains of what once was a fully functioning PC (potentially):

An Abit Motherboard, AMD Sempron 2600+ CPU, 512mb of RAM, a graphics card, and an old 80 gig hard drive.

Now, before you answer, this stuff has been in an open box, with other stuff rubbing against it, like scarves, footballs, legs (Ok, not legs). I'm gonna place my money on saying that most of this kit is buggered, but i'd like to make sure before I throw it in the bin (or out the window, at an innocent passer by):

Just incase you werent sure what a motherboard looked like.

Anyway, any information on this would be much appreciated. Tests I can do or something, to see if this can still work?

P.S. The CPU is most definately buggered, several pins are bent and it's been lying with the motherboard in the notoriously dirty cupboard. Is it possible to reshape this with tweezers, or a hammer (Probably the former), or should I just take a hammer to everything?

Take her easy,

Jamie :beard:

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would try to fix the pins on the processor.

Then i would build it and post back when its built.

If you hit the power button and the computer doesn't start thats why you have us at TF.

If you hit the power button and the computer starts and it beeps tell us how many beeps there are and thats also what we at TF do...

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well you don't really know untill you try

ps it might work because I had a computer with no side panel sitting in my damp basement that was covered in dust and cob webs and after it was cleaned it worked so just give it a try and see if it works
AMD Phenom II x6 1045T @ 2.7 Ghz
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
Crucial M500 240GB SSD (boot drive)
500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, well thanks alot both of you, appreciate the help.

Get paid this Friday so i'll try and make a start on this.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RockyZ

The processors that work for your mobo runs around 50-60 dollars, so don't be too sad if the old one is broken.

G. Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR800
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
super pi: 1m=20s
Old 07-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That's alright, i'm fairly sure the processor is totalled but i'm hoping the motherboard's still going .

Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Further to my questions of yesterday, I have been looking at new processors to pick up for my processor (

Sempron 2800+ (

What do you all think?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's a pretty good processor for the cost, but if you add few extra £ you could get a way better one.

OH it's a socket A. Yeah thats the best you can get, AFAIK.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quality stuff. Thanks for the help mate.(And for using a £ sign, even though your from Cali )

Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

To straighten your pins w/o breaking them, use a lead pencil (mechanical pencil). Take the lead out, and use the barrel... slide it over a bent pin all the way to the bend, and then SLOWLY, CAREFULLY straighten it.

Even if the CPU and mobo is dirty, just use compressed air to clean it. if it needs more than that, use a lint-free cloth and alcohol.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread