Can I connect two PC's through eSATA instead of LAN? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can I connect two PC's through eSATA instead of LAN?

Hello,
I have a computer sharing files to a second computer over a GigaLan network for our business, but the computers on the newtwork do not seem to be able to process the files as quickly as the master computer with the files on the local internal hardrive.

I have heard that eSATA is just as fast as if you were working locally with an internal hard drive. We were wondering if we can increase our file sharing speeds between the two computers by using eSATA (or some other way?) instead of a Gigalan network.

I only need to connect one PC to another PC. Can eSATA do this?

Many thanks.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Can I connect two PC's through eSATA instead of LAN?

Don't think this is a possibility sorry. It's not made to connect PC's together, it's an external interface for SATA devices.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I agree, I don't see how its possible. The only real way to connect the two and share files are either through the network or with a cross over cable which essentially the same thing
Old 08-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Are there perhaps any external storage drives/NAS that have multiple eSATA inputs for connecting to more than one PC via eSATA? Or perhaps an external eSATA hub or eSATA switch? (just tossing out ideas here)

Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Don't think there are drives with multiple ports for that use but there is a eSATA Hub (5-Port Multiplier) but I don't think you would be able to network though, it's merely more to attach more than 1 eSATA devices to a single host.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

eSATA is not a networking interface, the protocol specifies one master (the PC) and one or more slaves (the drives), it works completely different from network interfaces which use addressing and routing information to transmit data to another node on the network. I suppose if you wanted to rewrite the low level driver interface to the SATA controller to include networking protocols (assuming that the hardware even allows you to reprogram the SATA protocol, which it most likely does not), but this is a ridiculous idea even to driver programmers.

Just because an interface is fast doesn't mean you can use it however you want, network is network and SATA is SATA, two entirely different types of interface. If you did have a drive that had two eSATA interfaces (which is still a messed up idea) you would have to copy from PC A to the drive, then from the drive to PC B and you might as well just plug in an eSATA drive and then switch it to the other PC if you're doing this.

Depending on how much data you want to transfer, this is probably your best option. Use an eSATA drive to store all PC A's data, then move the drive to PC B and copy the data off. If you have gigabit LAN it should be fast enough to transfer that data anyways, I'd only see a problem with 10/100 LAN which is maxed at 10MB/s or so.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What about USB 3.0? USB is not a networking interface either, but don't they make some sort of USB bridge cable for connecting two PC's to each other?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Nope, sorry. Same reason as why Sata and eSata wouldn't work.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

USB 2.0 Host-to-Host Cable -- DataPro

Is this not a USB cable designed to connect two PC's? If it can be done for USB 2.0, maybe it exists for USB 3.0?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I meant just by itself with a standard usb cable. Plugging in one to the other won't get you data transfer capabilities.

Of course it's possible to write up something which uses the USB protocol to send/receive data, which is what that link you posted does. Whether someone has written and released a program to do this via USB3 I don't know. If nothing has been released yet, your other options would be...
1. Buy two 10Gbps ethernet cards. Probably be about $300 each.
2. Buy two fiberchannel cards. Could cost anywhere from $60 to $500, depending on what you get.
3. Buy two more 1Gbps cards and configure load balancing on the PCs

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread