Can I add an IDE Hard drive to my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I recently built a computer, namely with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard and a 250 GB SATA 300 WD Caviar harddrive not running RAID.

I am at my parent's house for Easter and noticed that my dad has a spare WD Caviar 120GB "Enhanced IDE Hard Drive" just saying around.

Will this be basically plug and play compatible with my mother board or is it too old? I know it won't be as a fast as my main Hard Drive, but I kind of want it in there for backup purposes so I can sell my external drive on ebay.

Thanks guys!

Im not sure if you have to set it as slave, but I would anyway. Move the jumpers around and make sure that your SATA drive is master. Should work.

Master is the primary drive where your wiindows is installed, and slave is secondary. The jumper pins is how you would set a hard drive to either master or slave. Usually on the hard drive it will tell you at which position to put the jumpers at.

b1gapl said:
Master is the primary drive where your wiindows is installed, and slave is secondary. The jumper pins is how you would set a hard drive to either master or slave. Usually on the hard drive it will tell you at which position to put the jumpers at.

GOtcha.

So then I would leave my current HD plugged into into Sata 1, and then just plug the IDE one in as a slave? Is that correct?

Also, how do I know if my Mobo supports IDE harddrives?

Again, I have an Asus A8N-E. I checked the specs on Newegg, and it didn't say anything about IDE hard drives one way or another (there was not even a "section" for it on the "specifications" page). ???

Sorry for the basic questions guys. I honestly am reseraching this. But sometimes the truly basic stuff is the hardest to learn because most people don't do DIYs, FAQs, or walk-throughs for the super-basics.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom