Can it handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttoadish

Baseband Member
I'm going to upgrade my 8600gt to a HD 4770 and also add 2 more GB of ram for the summer. I have an Antec Earthwatts 380w PSU which I don't really want to upgrade. Considering the Earthwatt is a pretty solid little power supply and the HD 4770 dosen't draw much power at about 80w I'm pretty confident it can manage it. Before I order though it would be great to have a second opinion. Thanks

Heres a link for the PSU
Antec EarthWatts 380W 80%+ Efficiency PSU - 80mm Fan 4x SATA PCI-E - Ebuyer

The rest of my system:

CPU: Intel c2d e6420 (OC'd to 2.8 ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte G65P-S3
Ram: 2x1GB ddr2 800mhz dual channel
Gpu: Nvidia 8600gt 256mb
PSU: 380W antec earthwatts
Case: phong II
HDD: Maxor 250gb

It is going to be close. ATI's recomondation is a 450watt. could not find the amp's required or what amps your psu has. They always overshoot requirements to be safe.

Are you running a lot of hard drives and cd drives?
Are you overclocking?
These are factors that would put you over the top.

You can always get it and try I would say 50/50.
Keep in mind you may need a new psu.

17amps on the 12v.
Should work.

Thanks for the help. There isnt much else apart from the one hard drive and a dvd burner running. I have been overclocking the processor to 2.8 ghz for awhile - not very extreme the voltages are the same as before.

Upgrading the power supply is the obvious solution - I should have used a more powerful PSU when I built it. That said I can't justify the money as i'm only going to be using it for a few months, I just want a cheap upgrade until I build a new pc.

Looking on Newegg the outputs are

+3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

I think i'll give it a shot , i've read people running 8800gt 's off of the same power supply. If the worst comes to the worst i'll shell out on a bigger PSU.

I'm going to upgrade my 8600gt to a HD 4770 and also add 2 more GB of ram for the summer. I have an Antec Earthwatts 380w PSU which I don't really want to upgrade. Considering the Earthwatt is a pretty solid little power supply and the HD 4770 dosen't draw much power at about 80w I'm pretty confident it can manage it. Before I order though it would be great to have a second opinion. Thanks

Heres a link for the PSU
Antec EarthWatts 380W 80%+ Efficiency PSU - 80mm Fan 4x SATA PCI-E - Ebuyer

The rest of my system:

CPU: Intel c2d e6420 (OC'd to 2.8 ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte G65P-S3
Ram: 2x1GB ddr2 800mhz dual channel
Gpu: Nvidia 8600gt 256mb
PSU: 380W antec earthwatts
Case: phong II
HDD: Maxor 250gb

I think you are good.. the Antec eA380w is a beast of a PSU.

Ricanflow, a member here runs two 8800GT's and a Celeron e1400 of that PSU for Folding@Home 24/7and 2x HD 4770 has relatively low power consumption compared to two 8800GT's, so you should have no worries

Wow two 8800s I think i'll be fine then :p It was a mistake to buy such a small PSU in the first place in terms of upgradability but i'm glad I bought such a good quality one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom