Cache Memory & Acer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Cache Memory & Acer

A coupla' basic noob questions for ya:

I'm about to buy a new computer, and I'm wondering:

1. How much cache memory should I get? 512kb? 1MB? 2MB? I don't have very high-end needs; I don't do any video editing and I don't play video games. I mostly just work with Excel, watch videos and DVD's, and browse the web. I just want the computer to run these things fast and smoothly. One computer I'm looking at has 512kb + 512kb on die Level 2 cache memory. Does that basically equate to 1 MB cache memory?

2. What is Acer's reputation as a brand? One of the computers I'm looking at is an Acer Aspire desktop, and I haven't heard anything good or bad with regard to Acer's reputation. The only one that I've heard consistent complaints about is Dell.

Please fill me in. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Cache Memory & Acer

In your case, you don't need alot of cache, since you said you don't do gaming and video editing. 1mb will be fine, even 512kb is fine.

Acer.....I haven't heard their reputation on desktops, but they make decent LCDs.

Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On