Buying a PC for Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam5k1

Beta member
Hi guys....:)

I'm about to buy a new computer, but i'm just wondering about the graphics card... which is the best type of graphics card to go for in your opinions (nvidia, ATI etc) bearing in mind the cost/performance ratio?? Is there a big difference between 256 and 512mb memory size??

Also can someone explain to me how Texture Fill Rate and memory bandwith affect the performance while playing games?

Thanks m8s and sorry if i sound like a total noob, just want to make sure i get the best deal for my money ;)

basically i want to spend around £500-£700... i dunno much about computers but this is what i had in mind....

i want 2gb RAM (minimum), Intel Core duo 2.4 GHZ (minimum), Hard drive... well i have 120gb at the moment and i've never really come close to filling it, so not too fussed :D.

dunno much about anything else... basically i just want it to run games with sweet graphics! :)

Btw, also... i heard Vista is a piece of poo :laughing: .... is it better to have XP???

If i had to say anything, in my personal opinion i think amd is alot better for gamming and also get an nvidia GForce 8600 or 8800 Or even wait till the end of the year and get a 9000 series.. yes the 9000 series will be a little more money they you want to spend but you will be able to run any game that comes out for probally the next 8 years.

Heres an ok Build For you

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N758-TR GeForce 8600GT SSC 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Then A HDD and Some other DVD/CD Drives Throw a floppy in just to be retro

If i had to say anything, in my personal opinion i think amd is alot better for gamming and also get an nvidia GForce 8600 or 8800 Or even wait till the end of the year and get a 9000 series.. yes the 9000 series will be a little more money they you want to spend but you will be able to run any game that comes out for probally the next 8 years.

Heres an ok Build For you

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N758-TR GeForce 8600GT SSC 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Then A HDD and Some other DVD/CD Drives Throw a floppy in just to be retro

Thankyou very much m8 :D

Sounds like waiting for the 9 series nvidias would probably be the most sensible option... being able to play games for the next 8 years sounds pretty sweet!

I'm just desperate to play games such as Half-life 2, Bioshock etc and don't think I'll be able to hold out that long! :laughing:

btw - sorry i just realized i probably should have started this thread in the gaming section :embaressed:

If you want to build now I recommend going with an Intel processor because they outperform AMD processors clock for clock and are better overclockers.

It used to be that AMD was good for gaming, but Intel is the king as of right now.

Right now, the 8800GT is the best bang-for-buck. The next best one is the 8800GTS 512mb.

Sounds like waiting for the 9 series nvidias would probably be the most sensible option... being able to play games for the next 8 years sounds pretty sweet!

in 8 years this computer will be like the Pentium 3 is today. Reasonably speaking the "gaming" ablility of this system will only last a few years. The problem with being a computer gamer is how quickly computers go obsolete. If you are serious about this then I would strongly reccomend a 8800GT. I have 2 in SLI right now and couldn't be happier with them.

The 9-series will obviously be faster but I can't see how Nvidia would release a new high-end card when they already own the top of the market with the high-end 8800s. Unless ATI comes out with some amazing new card, we won't be seeing any 9800's for awhile. (The 9600GT was released to compete with ATI's prices)

btw do NOT go with AMD for gaming. Intel is way out in front and its looking like it will stay that way

Nice system Cheeseking!

in 8 years this computer will be like the Pentium 3 is today. Reasonably speaking the "gaming" ablility of this system will only last a few years.

LOL..i didn't even think of that... GOOD POINT:D

The 9-series will obviously be faster but I can't see how Nvidia would release a new high-end card when they already own the top of the market with the high-end 8800s. Unless ATI comes out with some amazing new card, we won't be seeing any 9800's for awhile. (The 9600GT was released to compete with ATI's prices)

btw do NOT go with AMD for gaming. Intel is way out in front and its looking like it will stay that way

What do you think of this?....(Good for games? How long do you think it will be before I'm already buying new bits??)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
3Gb Memory (Didn't write down the spec but it apparently was good)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
uhm... didn't note down Motherboard either but it was a decent one ... Nvidia somehting

The guys at my local PC store were telling me that you can add 1gb of memory to the graphics that so it becomes like 1500mb! i asked them if they could be more specific as to how you actually do it and they said "dunno mate" (don't worry i told them they're useless)... is it true? You can add memory from the RAM to the graphics to make it better??

Yeah but if you saw what he said too when talking about getting a 9000 series you'll prob wanna go with at least an Intel Quad Core, I've heard good things about the cheapest one q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom