Buying a Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

brew

Beta member
I think that I have narrowed down the notebooks that I want to purchase but I am still up in the air. I might buy a HP with an AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Mobile TL-52 (1.60GHz/512KB) which will have a 15.4" screen and 512 or I might buy 2.0GHz AMD Turion 64 ML-37 Processor, 1024MB DDR SDRAM, 160GB 2x80GB Hard Drives, DVD+RW/CD-RW Drive, 802.11b/g , 17" Brightview WXGA Display, Windows XP Media Center, Refurbished. The price is about the same. My considerations are weight, screen size and of course performance. I have read a great review regarding the AMD x2s and they sound like they rock, but how do the 2ghz processors stack up? I can't imagine that they don't feel good too. If you have any thoughts which I have not brought up please let me know. Thank you!

The bigger processor would defenitely guzzle up the battery life, but would be much faster at processing information.

You have to weigh out the laptops; for more power, go for the better processor with more memory; for more battery life, go for the Turion with less RAM.

17" makes a very large laptop. Just think about how big that is going to be. It really depends on how protable you want to be. I personally wouldnt want a 17". While it looks really good, it is pretty big.

battery and size

thank you both for your considerations. I am going to keep those factors in mind. I like the 17" screen but it really is quite large and I wonder if I will wind up regretting the loss of speed over time. I have generally found that speed is the one factor that i am not keen on letting go of. It basically falls under the philosophy of "we have only so much time on this planet so we better make the best use of it we can"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom