Buying a new system - after suggestions/feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy

Solid State Member
Right, I've just started a new course and part of the requirements is to have two networked PC's. I built my current PC from scratch so this time I'm going for the complete system in one fell swoop!

I've been looking around, and I'm getting very confused by what's right for me or not. First I've put down a few rules about what the new system MUST have -

1. at least 3.4 GHz worth of CPU
2. at least 2GB RAM
3. PCI-E Express (quite a keen gamer)

Then I started reading about Dual-Core processors. Having never really known much about them at first, they seemed like a really good idea at first. But the more I read - the more I begin to think it probably isn't necessary. From what I've gathered, they are only really useful for mutli-tasking with for things like server hosts. The most I'm really going to be running at any one time is perhaps Photoshop/Illustrator CS2, Dreamweaver, and assorted other programs.

What can anyone tell me about Dual-Core? Is it worth it even if you aren't going to make the most of it's capabilities?

The other thing I wanted to ask about was the 64-bit systems. Is it worth upgrading to 64 even if your OS is only 32? Will it make much of a difference?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Paddy said:
1. at least 3.4 GHz worth of CPU
Sorry kid, but the megahertz wars are over. GHz make very little difference anymore.

As for dual-core, it will come in handy if the apps you are using support more than one processor or hyperthreading.

64-bit is the way of the future---now, even most budget CPUs are 64 bit. Even if you are using a 32 bit OS, it wouldn't hurt to get a 64 bit proc.

Also, what is your budget?

I want to spend around £700 (or $1200).

Also a piece of constructuve criticism from me to you, especially as you are a moderator - using the word "kid" isn't exactly the best way to great newbies.

Okie.

If you want to, get a rig like mine ( in my sig ). That costs me around 850 quids ( UK PC is sooo expensive ).
If you want to reduce the cost, consider buying a case with a PSU already, saving you around 40 quids. Getting a cheaper graphic card could help your budget as well ( A 6800 Gt for example ). Go for 1gb of RAM saves you a further 50 quids.
That's it.
For dual core, it's not highly recommended. Most games now are not made to utilise the dual core's advantage. Get a decent single core CPU is a better option.

i'd suggest
-amd 64 x2 3800+, its decent, and u can overclock it pretty well
-Dual channel ram ( from what i've seen, is usually cheaper than buy 2x1gig sticks of ram
-7600/7800/7900 are good, but if u dont wanna spend that much than u should go with 6800/6600
- and like mystic said, get a case wit PSU already in it, it saves quite a bit of money.

AMD 64 3800 x2. Also the 7600 Nvidia looks good. Just get a 2 x 1 gb set of cheap value ram if you are not going to overclock - Charlie

Paddy said:
Also a piece of constructuve criticism from me to you, especially as you are a moderator - using the word "kid" isn't exactly the best way to great newbies.
Sorry if you took it offensively, but I call lots of people "kid", including adults like my parents at times. If you want me to knock it off, I will.

I agree with all of what john said, save for the PSU part. It is not always beneficial to get a case with a PSU in it. If you do, then you need to look into whether or not that PSU can handle what you need it to.

YAY, my first helpful post since i've joined this forum. U guys are teaching me a lot.

Well john, happy one hundreth post! Your right in saying that a case/psu combo saves money but it's not always the best thing. If your not a gamer and don't have a power hungry machine then your fine with a case/psu combo. On the other hand if you looking at video card such as the 6800GS/GT most case/psu combos wont be able to handle that card. They will either die out in a week or simply not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom