Buying a new processor (switch from intel to amd?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrghost

Solid State Member
Hello! I need an upgrade, I currently have a Celeron D. I was thinking about a Pentium D 805 but I've heard alot of good things about AMD - such as how they're faster and run cooler (my Celeron gets pretty HOT - I had to take the side of my case off!).

So I was wondering about some recommendations on what I should do. Go with the Pentium D or go AMD? I need to keep my PCIe graphics card, my two Sata 3gb/s hard drives, and my three sticks of ddr2 533 ram. I realize that an amd mobo/proc combo would be around the same price as the lowest core 2 duo - but I'm willing to give up maximum speed (which I don't really need) for stability and smaller temps!

I was looking at the AMD sempron 64 2400+, athlon 64 3200+ and 3800+ (of course any other recommendations would be great). As for motherboards, I'm completely confused on which am2 motherboard to get - if I go with amd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ok dont look at the semprons. the amd athlon 3800 is pretty good but what are u gonna use ur computer for. are u gonna do any gaming? i guess is you dont really want core 2 duo u can go for the pentium d 805.

Well the only games I'll be playing on it is Oblivion and Flight Simulator X. They don't need to be high end settings. Besides that it'll mostly be basic desktop applications, Visual C++, and Photoshop CS2.

I've been using intel all my life and I guess I want to try out the other side. :)

well i just bought an amd x2 4800 and unfortunatly because alienware wont update their bios i cant activate both my cores but ill tell u this much its very fast even with one cpu activated i mean is aw probably a 60% speed increase from my 3500.

Yes get that x2 3800, and it will run on that motherboard. just make sure that the cpu says socketAM2 though instead of socket 939 because your mobo is socket AM2 . And by the way the only reaosn he can't activate both cores is because he bought an alienware and they do weird things to their prebuilt pc's. It says right on newegg.com under the specifications that is suports AMD x2.

"CPU Type Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64"

Omg guys i activated i was so ****ed of from running on one i actually did it i had to force the bios to flash themselves but i actually did it to bad it doesnt show the alienware logo on start up anymore ha lol imma make a guide for alienware users that are stuck so it wont happen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom