Buying New Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svoloch

Solid State Member
Ok so ive been a seagate fan for the longest time ever ... but recently ive went on newegg and read some pretty nasty reviews of bad sectors and blue screens. Quite a few of them actually. Has seagate lost its reliability with the baraccudas this past and current year?

Some feedback on what to purchase, im mainly looking for storage, at least 500GB.

Seagate has taken a beating ever since they bought out Maxtor. They have dropped their warranty down to three years or less across the board. Sad to see, actually.

Look at the Western Digital Black series. 32MB cache, super fast, and a five year warranty. The Samsung Spinpoint F3's are a tad faster, but they are 1TB and up. If you need massive storage they are the way to go, but for 500GB+, grab a WD Black.

Seagate has taken a beating ever since they bought out Maxtor. They have dropped their warranty down to three years or less across the board. Sad to see, actually.

Look at the Western Digital Black series. 32MB cache, super fast, and a five year warranty. The Samsung Spinpoint F3's are a tad faster, but they are 1TB and up. If you need massive storage they are the way to go, but for 500GB+, grab a WD Black.

Actually, there's a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb and 250Gb but recently I don't think Newegg has offered the 500Gb drive, though other sites still sell it.

http://www.provantage.com/samsung-hd502hj~7SAMA058.htm

Last I checked Newegg was selling the 250Gb Spinpoint F3's still, though they aren't a very good price per gigabyte point.
I think it's $40-45 for the 250Gb, where as you can get a 500Gb hard drive for $5-15 more.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F3's are only faster in sequential read/write speeds and burst speeds. Their random access times are slower than the Caviar Blacks, so they're only better if you commonly transfer larger files around (300Mb+) if you're more prone to accessing or using smaller files the Caviar Blacks would be better than the Spinpoint F3's. (As was pointed out to me by Slaymate, thanks SM)

I don't know if there is something wrong with the WD Black drives but I have two of them and the transfer speeds are slow and I have seen other threads with the same problem. Right now I am not to happy with them. Of course, it could be my system causing the problem and not the drives.

I don't know if there is something wrong with the WD Black drives but I have two of them and the transfer speeds are slow and I have seen other threads with the same problem. Right now I am not to happy with them. Of course, it could be my system causing the problem and not the drives.

What do you mean by "slow"?
Can you give some numbers?
HD Tune Pro is good for getting some somewhat accurate transfer speeds.
(Let it run for at least a few minutes before you make any judgments.)

I have used HD Tune Pro to test it and it gives me an average of 72 mb's. But when I try to transfer a large group of files from one drive to the other, I get real slow transfer speeds. It will start out around 100mb's and then slowly keep dropping to the point of almost nothing. This is my second set of drives. I RMA'd the first set because of this. In my situation, I am thinking there is something else wrong. But I have seen several other threads saying the same thing.

I have used HD Tune Pro to test it and it gives me an average of 72 mb's. But when I try to transfer a large group of files from one drive to the other, I get real slow transfer speeds. It will start out around 100mb's and then slowly keep dropping to the point of almost nothing. This is my second set of drives. I RMA'd the first set because of this. In my situation, I am thinking there is something else wrong. But I have seen several other threads saying the same thing.

Those speeds are abysmal...
Have they been defragged?
What format are they? NTFS? FAT?

What motherboard do you have?

thx for the input guys appreciate it. Was wrecking my head on this one cuz i havent kept up with HDs for awhile

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1785884 said:
Those speeds are abysmal...
Have they been defragged?
What format are they? NTFS? FAT?

What motherboard do you have?

Yeah, tell me about it. The drives have been defragged, and they are NTFS. The thing is I have already RMA'd the drives and the replacements do the same thing. So this has me thinking it is something else. I RMA'd the motherboard and they said the only thing wrong with it was a bad bios. I am trying to find an identical motherboard to buy and see if that solves the problem.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom