Buying new computer, advise! =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckallstarz

Beta member
Hey :D

New to here, just need some help

Getting a new computer custom built from techbuy.com and heres the specs (havent purchased just yet)

Case - ThermalTake M9 Midi-Tower Case - 430W PSU

Motherboard - ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
LGA775, G31, 1333FSB, 2xDDR2-800, PCI-Ex16, 4xSATA-II, GigLAN, 8Chl, VGA, Firewire, mATX

CPU/Processor - Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz) LGA775, 1066FSB, 8MB Cache, ATX CPU

RAM - 4096MB (2 x 2048MB) PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM (Dual Channel)

Hard Drive(s) - 320GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II 300 HDD (or 500GB for extra $25)

CD/DVD - 22x DVD+-RW Dual Layer DVD Burner w. Nero Burning Software - IDE

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT - 512MB DDR3
256-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV - PCI-Ex16 v2.0 (700MHz, 1.8GHz) - OC Edition

Surge Protector - Crest 6-Way Power Board with Surge Protector and Phone/Modem(RJ11) & Data Line (RJ45) Protection

The total price for that is $1352.90
Just wondering if you could tell me if that's worth the price and if they can all go together properly
And advise if there's anything i should change

P.S I'm from Australia, and I'vve searched around and that's pretty cheap compared to everything else, and with the currencies now a $1000US computer would be $1580 in AUD

PC Is mainly gaming, video/audio recording/editing, and will be using AutoCAD n photoshop alot etc.

Get a more powerful PSU, such as the Corsair HX520 or PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W.

Get a SATA DVD drive.

Get a P45 mobo, like the Asus P5Q or Gigabyte EP45.

Yes I suggest you get get a powerful power supply, 430W is not good enough, or you just choose another case.

Yes I suggest you get get a powerful power supply, 430W is not good enough, or you just choose another case.

Theres only 3 to choose from for this pc build and the highest is

CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Midi-Tower Case - 460W PSU

Would i be able to buy a more powerful one and install it after i get my pc?

CPU/Processor - Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz) LGA775, 1066FSB, 8MB Cache, ATX CPU

Unless your CAD software will take advantage of all 4 core, I would be going for a faster Intel Core2Duo as appose to an slower Intel Core2Quad. There is no sence in having extra 2 cores if they are not going to be used.

Unless your CAD software will take advantage of all 4 core, I would be going for a faster Intel Core2Duo as appose to an slower Intel Core2Quad. There is no sence in having extra 2 cores if they are not going to be used.

Ahh yes but I'm sure q6600 is more than enough. I'm one of those that believe programs/games in the near future will take more advantage of quad cores :rolleyes:, and as i said previously i won't be upgrading for probably a few years.

One thing i need to know though

Since most programs use 1 or 2 cores, if i run say 2 powerful programs will they run on the same 2 cores or will one program use 2 and the other program use the other 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom