Buying a Laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcole

Solid State Member
First I want to say that I posted on the forums for tips on what parts to pick out for my desktop and I can not love it more than I do now. It's super fast and have not found its breaking point how many applications I can run at one time, thank you all that helped in that process.

Well I am back again needing alittle help in choosing a laptop. I have pretty much have my heart set on a HP/Compaq laptop, I've had a HP and a Compaq and took a beating and were superb at what I used them for. Now I'm wanting a gaming laptop and been researching the different specs of the parts and have about $900.00 to spend on one.

First the processor. From my research I've concluded the AMD Athlon 64s have a substancial more power than the AMD Turion 64s. Pretty much I've heard the Turions being called the Celerons/Centrinos of the AMD universe. Second I've heard that the Turions use the system memory to support the onboard video unlike the Athlons have the system memory and the video memory seperate. Downside to the Athlons is the battery life of about 2 1/2 hours compared to the 3 1/2 hours of the Turions. And the Turions normally have a cheaper price tag attached to them. Now my question on the processors is...
1. Is it worth giving up battery life for the extra power?
2. How are the Turions when it comes to performance in games such as World of Warcraft and HL2? (I'm expecting to have it on the lowest settings to push as much performance as I can out of the game/computer).
3. Is my research pretty much true?
4. Personal recommendations on either processor?

I've been trying to figure out if there will be any major upgrades to the laptop world within the next couple months, a 256MB video, possible AMD dual cores, etc.
Is there any major plans for anything that majorly deals with performance in gaming coming out, especially the ones listed above?

I've looked at newegg.com and tigerdirect.com and just have not been impressed by any of the premade laptops and have only really seen any good deals come out of hp.com itself.
Is there any good trustworthy laptop selling sites out there?

Last question which may sound alittle awkward but I've been keeping up with the new Sony cell processor but there is not alot of information out there. Knowing it is being put into the PS3 I'm thinking it must be a decent processor for gaming. Is there any word about Sony sticking the cell processor in their Viao computers? I'm figuring if there are any plans for the cell processor to be put out in the computer market, it will be late 2007 early 2008...

Sorry for all the questions and any help in trying to sort out the confusion will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom