Buying a hard drive, I need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I want to buy this drive Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

It's a 250GB Ultra ATA100

Doing a little more research on hard drives, I came across the mention of a 137GB limitation problem.

I don't know whether my system will recognize a 250 drive. I heard there are ways of making an NTFS system recognize 137GB+ drives. I've found an article that states there are software updates for motherboards with this and that chipset, but I don't know what chipset I have. Also, I heard a BIOS update help to. But I can't seem to find a definite source for upgrading my BIOS.

I've also heard that ATA133 interface drives automatically force your system to recognize 137GB+ drives. But I don't know if my system will run ATA133 drives.

I've attached my computer's information in a zip file. It has specs for my BIOS, Processor, current Hard Drive, and Motherboard.

Any advice on whether or not I might have compatibility issues with this hard drive is appreciated.

Attachments

• computer_specs.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 3
I think as long as your Windows has SP2, and you format your hard drive, you shouldn't have a problem. I had the same concern too, but I had SP2, installed the hard drive, formatted it, and it showed the full capacity size, of my 250GB hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom