Burnt E6300....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
Right, I bought an E6300, An Abit AG8-Pro, 2x 512Mb Corsair Value Select DDR2, A Sapphire X300, and a 500w Generic PSU for a friend. (Actually he bought it all, and got it delivered to me to put together, but anyway..)

Put it all together, wearing an Earth strap, cleared the CMOS, (don't know why, always do before first boot!) booted... Fans a go-go, SATA HDD whirring away like it should, all leds lit on Mobo and front of case etc, but nothing on screen.

Hmmm, I thought, I'll try another GFX card. Still the same. Different RAM. The same.

Took the cpu out to check it, and one of the contacts had burnt out, melting the plastic on the socket a bit too!

I'm RMAing both, but does anyone know what could've caused it?

I'm thinking (hoping!) faulty mobo....

yea rma the proc. and are u sure u had a heatsink on the proc? lol ;)
but seriously did you have the heatsink properly set on the cpu. and it could be the mobo.

i have yet never used a 775 cpu yet... but from the pics it looks like the CPU is clamped down to the motherboard even befor you put on the HSF.

the HSF wouldnt have anything to do with a electric short causing melting anyway...

the only thing it could possibly have been is A) a faulty Mobo/CPU... or B)you inserted the CPU Improperly somehow befor Clamping it down? Perhaps.

EDIT: honestly if i were to guess, without being there id guess it could be B)user error.... or since mobo's and CPUs are generaly usualy manufactered pritty well id imagine... id even say it may be more likely that the Generic PSU could even be at fault b4 both the MObo/CPU, if it wasnt user error..... epending on how generic/cheap that PSU is, perhaps you may not wont to risk the replacement parts on it, and go with a better brand PSU.

I doubt there was something wrong with the CPU. Its sounds more like a cheap PSU ruining your computer or a problem with the motherboard.

Did you connect your motherboard to a speakers? Does it beap, if not, either the PSU ruined it or the motherboard is bad.

Or you just installed it incorrectly. How do you have plastic in the socket? The only plastic part is the cover to protect the LGA775 socket from damage during shipment.

there should be no plastic around the socket at all.. the only plastic would be from the heatsink.. but that can't get in the socket...

it should be directly motherboard to cpu... there shouldnt be any plastic.. the pins on the motherboard should be inserted into the little tiny holes on the cpu

do you have any pictures

Listen, don't get hung up on the plastic, I know I put the CPU in right!

If there was no plastic between the pins and the mobo, you could see the mobo through the socket...

Anyway, they were collected for RMA tody, so replacements should be on their way....

F*CK. Aparrently, the mobo doesn't support Core2Duo CPUs.

F*CK.... How embarresed am I for not spotting that!!

EDIT: Still, surely it shouldn't physically damage the CPU? I thought it just wouldn't work... I don't know....

b0dge said:
F*CK. Aparrently, the mobo doesn't support Core2Duo CPUs.

F*CK.... How embarresed am I for not spotting that!!

EDIT: Still, surely it shouldn't physically damage the CPU? I thought it just wouldn't work... I don't know....

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

lollercoaster0.gif

roflcopter.gif

lol.JPG

Heh, Quote from email received this morning:

"We can confirm your returned goods have now been tested by our technicians. Depending on your original request, replacement goods or a refund will be issued shortly."

Ha! Nice one, "Technicians"!

They must be as stupid as me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom