Built a rig but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jforward5

Beta member
Ok about 1 year ago I built a computer for myself. It is not from the most expensive or best parts I could find, however I did spend a little extra on the video card. The problem I am having, and I do not know if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, but the computer will sometimes just freeze. I have overclocked it once or twice successfully to a 4ghz. I don't know if maybe I messed up the processor or if the OS is acting up. Sometimes I get the BSD and it shuts down. At first I thought this must be a virus so I did some research on the error messege on Microsoft and found that it wasn't a virus causing it. It also will lockup while booting the OS. When the black XP Pro screen appears with the little blue bar moving to the right it just freezes. Now the funny thing about this freeze is that the blue bar stops moving for about 10 seconds and then continues moving, but windows never boots. The remedy for this is a cold reboot or hitting the reset button, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work in this situation. Another time when it will freeze is when I am watching TV on it. Same remedy works here too. I also get a blue screen ever so often. The part that sucks is it doesn't happen enough for me to see a pattern. It isn't only when I do this or that but it will just surprise me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sounds to me that a reload is needed. slick it and reload your OS and start from scratch. it's probably from all kinds of programs loaded/uninstalled and just plain havoc going on... it's good to do reload every now and again... gives it a fresh start.

But I hardly install anything new on it. And I just put a new HDD in it about 3 months ago. Seagate Barracuda 250 gig and more memory 1.5 gig DDR2 667 MGHz corsair. The problem existed before the new HDD and memory, so I was thinking I couldn't be the memory or HDD. What else it could it be?

when you put the new drive in, you reloaded the system correct?

it's probalby a driver issue. some times there are bugs in new drivers. (I.E. video drivers, sound card, etc) it could also be a compatablity issue with some of the MS updates and what you have now... more than likely though it's not a hardware issue, but for referance, could you give us your specs so we might take a look and rule that out or as a possibility

I did reinstall everything on the new HDD. The issue existed before the upgrades. So I am not sure if it is a driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom