Building Versus Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

ev1lchris

Beta member
For the past decade or so I have been building my own PCs. I like how you can customize each part.

However, lately I have heard that actually buying an already built PC is actually less expensive than building one these days. People have cited PCs coming with the Windows OS or monitor already.

Is this true? How does the quality in a Dell compare to a PC one could put together themselves? What kind of motherboards to the big companies use? I have been a fan or Asus but do Dell and the others have their own proprietary boards?

I would really love a new PC soon. However I can't decide on building or just outright buying is better.

Low end stuff can be cheaper prebuilt but for high end stuff, the only way is to build.

Very true. If all you want is to handle office stuff, surf the web, and maybe watch movies then a prebuilt will be all you really need. Of course you will have to take the time to remove all the crapware that they stuff most prebuilts with but that is a hidden part of the cost. I prefer to just format a prebuilt and then install just the OS (using the correct version of Windows and the license key from the prebuilt) instead of trying to root it all out.

For a "Low Cost" PC a company like Dell will buy a 500,000 mobo's so they get a volume discount that a consumer buying 1, or even a dozen, just can't compete with. Even when they, the manufacturer, add in their profit a regular consumer just can't match the deal. But this changes dramatically when you move up to a more expensive, higher performing computer.

My opinion, building is better because a pre built puts some cheap parts in it, and if you ever want to upgrade anything besides the RAM, you will usually have to get a a few new parts to even upgrade the computer. They all seem to always put a cheap power supply in them.

my take is that its better because usually the warranty for EACH part is much higher...3-10years i have seen many times. if one part fails, the rest of the warranties dont just dissappear like in a normal prebuilt pc.

In my experience, the extra money you pay companies for prebuilt machines is a type of insurance. At one time, that was a big deal. However, recent years have produced a number of companies (newegg, TigerDirect, etc.) that offer manufacturer independent warranties. The days of Best Buy computers for serious techies are long gone. There is just more to be gained from building your own. I paid $1550 for my computer. If I had bought a comparable prebuilt machine, I would have paid $3000. Granted, you will not find my computer on any store shelf. This is just a specific example of what was already stated. My intention was not to come across as arrogant.

-Draco

Low-end office work stuff, pre-builts are fine.

Build your high-end ones if you don't want to get ripped off. :p

Psst. Dell uses **** PSUs. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom