Building Versus Buying - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Building Versus Buying

For the past decade or so I have been building my own PCs. I like how you can customize each part.

However, lately I have heard that actually buying an already built PC is actually less expensive than building one these days. People have cited PCs coming with the Windows OS or monitor already.

Is this true? How does the quality in a Dell compare to a PC one could put together themselves? What kind of motherboards to the big companies use? I have been a fan or Asus but do Dell and the others have their own proprietary boards?

I would really love a new PC soon. However I can't decide on building or just outright buying is better.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Building Versus Buying

Low end stuff can be cheaper prebuilt but for high end stuff, the only way is to build.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Originally Posted by kmote View Post
Low end stuff can be cheaper prebuilt but for high end stuff, the only way is to build.
Very true. If all you want is to handle office stuff, surf the web, and maybe watch movies then a prebuilt will be all you really need. Of course you will have to take the time to remove all the crapware that they stuff most prebuilts with but that is a hidden part of the cost. I prefer to just format a prebuilt and then install just the OS (using the correct version of Windows and the license key from the prebuilt) instead of trying to root it all out.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

For a "Low Cost" PC a company like Dell will buy a 500,000 mobo's so they get a volume discount that a consumer buying 1, or even a dozen, just can't compete with. Even when they, the manufacturer, add in their profit a regular consumer just can't match the deal. But this changes dramatically when you move up to a more expensive, higher performing computer.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My opinion, building is better because a pre built puts some cheap parts in it, and if you ever want to upgrade anything besides the RAM, you will usually have to get a a few new parts to even upgrade the computer. They all seem to always put a cheap power supply in them.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

my take is that its better because usually the warranty for EACH part is much higher...3-10years i have seen many times. if one part fails, the rest of the warranties dont just dissappear like in a normal prebuilt pc.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

In my experience, the extra money you pay companies for prebuilt machines is a type of insurance. At one time, that was a big deal. However, recent years have produced a number of companies (newegg, TigerDirect, etc.) that offer manufacturer independent warranties. The days of Best Buy computers for serious techies are long gone. There is just more to be gained from building your own. I paid $1550 for my computer. If I had bought a comparable prebuilt machine, I would have paid $3000. Granted, you will not find my computer on any store shelf. This is just a specific example of what was already stated. My intention was not to come across as arrogant.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Low-end office work stuff, pre-builts are fine.

Build your high-end ones if you don't want to get ripped off. :P

Psst. Dell uses **** PSUs. :P

Originally Posted by RichM499 View Post
I agree. You should see the Phenom III x12 I am beta testing. It's running @ 6.2ghz. It literally sends so much information to the ram that Smurfs jump out and punch me in the face.
Closed Thread