building a standard CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwein2007

Solid State Member
I'm building a CPU for a friend. I bought the Intel board, dual-core chipset, power supply and ram in one package from tigerdirect. I also bought a video card, dvd burner, and hard drive and installed them.

I followed the directions on the Intel Reference sheet for putting all the components together and when I went to turn it on for the 1st time... nothing.. The green LED light on the motherboard is on. I can see the CPU fan spin for a second, then it stops.

I thought it may be the video card, so I took that out so it will run off of the integrated graphics accelerator.. and nothing.

Then, I thought maybe it was the Front panel connectors. The connectors running from the case are not exactly color coated to match the motherboard's. The HDD LED is red/white and Power SW is orange/white, while the HDD LED connector on the motherboard is orange/white and power is red/white. I switched the connections to match color for color and while the same thing happened (fan spun for 1 sec and nothing else), then red light on the front of the case turned on.

The 20x2 and 4x4 connector from the power supply are all plugged in correctly.

On all of my test runs, all I had plugged in was the power cord.. no monitor, no keyboard/mice, etc...

Here's the specs..

Intel Core 2 EE2200 chip
Intel D 945GCNL motherboard (onboard graphics and sound)
Power UP! case with 450 Watt ATX switching power supply

I think the power supply might be faulty. Anybody know how to check this using a multimeter?

Thanks

All your parts seem to be fine. What type of RAM did you get? The board supports DDR2 667 MHz up to 2GB.

My guess is that you have the front panel/power connectors all mixed up. If you have 'changed' them already and the problem is still there then it looks like the initial power connector settings were wrong also.

Refer to the motherboard manual on the correct way to setup the front panel connectors, that may solve your problem

All your parts seem to be fine. What type of RAM did you get? The board supports DDR2 667 MHz up to 2GB.

My guess is that you have the front panel/power connectors all mixed up. If you have 'changed' them already and the problem is still there then it looks like the initial power connector settings were wrong also.

Refer to the motherboard manual on the correct way to setup the front panel connectors, that may solve your problem

I have crucial 2x 1GB DDR2PC2 5300.

I will try to mes with the front panel some more. I got a feeling it's that

generally the stock cpu won't always run 100% of the time on start-up. plug in a monitor and see if it boots up. or just let it go for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom