Building silent, powerful microATX computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auxii

Beta member
Hello everyone :)

I've been wanting to build a very silent, but also a powerful microATX media/work computer. I've already found a couple of parts, but I need some advice on the few remaining parts I've yet not decided.

Parts I've semi-decided. Please feel free to tell me if I should stay away/get something else:

Case: Newegg.com - IN WIN Dragon Slayer Black 0.6mm SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500

Parts I've yet not decided:

Memory: To be honest, I want at least 8GB of memory. I'll be running a virtual machine, and therefore the more the merrier. DDR3 is a must :)

HDD: A cheap SSD, could you guys help me with this? Doesn't need to be more than 64GB. I'll use an external HDD for storage.

GPU: I really don't need anything powerful. I won't be gaming on this computer, but a good enough GPU to play atleast 720p movies would be great!

PSU: This is the most tricky one for me. I have no clue how many watts I'll be needing. I don't want an overkill PSU, and if possible, I'd love a very silent one.

Thank you very much, I'd highly appreciate help! Also remember, I want to run this machine during the night (mostly 24/7), and therefore I want a silent machine. Cheers! :)

Nice case, man. That looks awesome!
Motherboard looks fine.
Why not get a 2500K or 2600K? A lot faster. Comes with a good stock heatsink, too.

As for memory, I love G.Skill RipJaw. They have been recommended here many times. You want 8GB? Get this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

SSD, get a OCZ Vertex. I have two of them, one 30GB and the other 60GB.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($90 after MIR)

Why not get a internal HDD, WD 1TB Black? The Black edition will run much faster than your external.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'm not too sure on the GFX. Wait for someone else.

To be safe, in case you ever want to upgrade your system, 650W should be plenty.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Thanks Mindover, you're the man!

Yeah I kinda fell in love with that case as soon as I saw it. Its design is a plus, but I heard it's really good overall.

I just checked my local store and the price is the exact same for the 2500k, so I'll definitely be getting that instead. I think that will do, I also have a limited budged, which is why I most likely won't be getting the 2600k :)

As for G.Skill memory sticks, I couldn't find those in my store. I'm from Norway, and can't really use Newegg, I just use it when asking for help.

Reason why I want an SSD drive is because I'm getting a bit sick of the 'spinning' sounds of all other HDD's. I have a laptop and a gaming desktop atm, and their HDDs are driving me nuts :p

Well I am MoM, though I am a dude. Long story. :p

G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ if they carry that. OCZ stopped the system memory line, but some stores still carry a few. I was sad after OCZ quit. :(

Well, even an external humms, so you aren't losing anything.

Yeah I was looking at some Corsair memory sticks, I hear they are quality.

And yeah that's true, but I would only use the external drive when I need to. When I go to sleep for example, I'd just disconnect it.

I have another question though... Let's say I buy an SSD to install my OS on, and another internal HDD for storage which are both installed inside my computer. Would the internal HDD work/spin when I'm not using it? Thanks :)

G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial are all top notch. OCZ stumbled hard in the days of DDR2 and continued the trand in DDR3; I wouldn't put it in my rig, at least.

Use a SSD for your OS and main programs, an internal HDD for data and other programs, and THEN get an external for backups and additional storage. The Black line is silent, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom