Building a Server, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I've decided to build a server as a fun little side project.

I'm doing this simply to do it, I'm not trying to make it fast or high end by any means. I literally just want to build one so I can get the experience doing it.

I've got some RAM (2x512) CPU (Pentium 4 x2) and a Mobo (Asus DDR2 board) and a small HD lying in a closet as spare parts....

I'm thinking if I run up to the local Good Will or Thrift Store I can grab one of those late 90's boxes that aren't guaranteed to work for like ten bucks, I've done it before.

Gut the old box, leave the Optical drive and PSU in it... Then just install my spare parts.

After that should be as simple as throwing Linux on it and configuring it like a Server right? The only hiccup I'm seeing is the PSU possibly needing to be replaced but otherwise... pretty simple.

Thoughts?

Please don't give any recommendations about 'you should buy x, y, z' the entire point of this project is just to jerry rig a server without spending any money :)

Try building a server similar to mine. The board and CPU was only ~$80, the RAM $30, HDDs I had, I just use an Antec Earthwatts 380W, just use an old case I had, and modded it. Not that hard.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's kinda what I just said in my post, only I'm not gonna spend any money cause I already have key components.

Thrift store computers are the perfect way to get an old case and Optical drive for under 10 bucks :) We're talking old though, late 90s.

And since I'll only be using the Optical for the OS install, I really could care less how fast or old it is.

I've decided to build a server as a fun little side project.

I'm doing this simply to do it, I'm not trying to make it fast or high end by any means. I literally just want to build one so I can get the experience doing it.

I've got some RAM (2x512) CPU (Pentium 4 x2) and a Mobo (Asus DDR2 board) and a small HD lying in a closet as spare parts....

I'm thinking if I run up to the local Good Will or Thrift Store I can grab one of those late 90's boxes that aren't guaranteed to work for like ten bucks, I've done it before.

Gut the old box, leave the Optical drive and PSU in it... Then just install my spare parts.

After that should be as simple as throwing Linux on it and configuring it like a Server right? The only hiccup I'm seeing is the PSU possibly needing to be replaced but otherwise... pretty simple.

Thoughts?

Please don't give any recommendations about 'you should buy x, y, z' the entire point of this project is just to jerry rig a server without spending any money :)

A couple of things to look out for:
1) check that the case supports ATX, I think late 90's should be fine but be careful not to get anything too early.
2) If you intend to use the PSU from the case, you will need to check that it supports the motherboard. A P4 will probably require a 20 pin main connector and a 4 pin CPU connector.

Also, Intel cut dual processor support from the P3 so you won't be able to run both those P4s in a single machine, even with a different motherboard.

1) check that the case supports ATX, I think late 90's should be fine but be careful not to get anything too early.
2) If you intend to use the PSU from the case, you will need to check that it supports the motherboard. A P4 will probably require a 20 pin main connector and a 4 pin CPU connector.

Also, Intel cut dual processor support from the P3 so you won't be able to run both those P4s in a single machine, even with a different motherboard.

I've got an old 700W PSU that I used for those parts originally. Only the PSU started to die and it would no longer boot up the GPU. Perhaps it's still strong enough to boot up all main components though. I know it's a 20pin with a 4pin CPU.

This was basically what I was trying to tell him last night.

For what you want, an mitx Atom setup would work too but that costs money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom