Building server for HTPC - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Building server for HTPC

Having two different machines would be ideal; servers aren't exactly known for having good HTPC qualities and vice versa. The server should be out of sight (definitely out of earshot) and out of mind.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
What orihS is getting at is that you don't NEED to do it that way. You can ALSO forget about the external/network storage and just store everything on the HTPC.
I want to make HTPC as small as possible, make it like an appliance, not a PC. Plan to hide it behind my TV, maybe similar to this:
SUGGED Blog Archive Mini-ITX (M350) Media Center Build

I also I want it to be really quiet and fan less. So no one would see it, no one would hear it.

So I want Server to do most of the things. (I also might use it as torrent box, like my web-server)..

Do you think this motherboard will work for Server? (I am interested in it because it use Atom CPU, and use less power)
Newegg.com - ECS 945GCD-M(1.0) Intel Atom 330 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

A really popular choice for HTPCs are Mac Minis. They're tiny but have enough oompf to stream hi-def movies. They also have 5.1 optical out and lots of USB ports to plug in external storage.
They're also not THAT expensive, well worth the end result IMO.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdar View Post
Do you think this motherboard will work for Server? (I am interested in it because it use Atom CPU, and use less power)
Newegg.com - ECS 945GCD-M(1.0) Intel Atom 330 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo
Atom isn't a bad idea although it will take a very long time for any power savings to pay for themselves and I would steer clear of ECS. Before buying anything though, it is important to nail down a few details such as the role(s) of the server and what you need out of it.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread