Building server for HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
I plan to build HTPC, I made a post about it few days ago.

Initially I was thinking to put inside a large 1TB or 2TB 3.5" HardDrive (inside of my HTPC)... but now I am kind of not sure.

Should I get a small, 2.5" harddrive for Linux and XBMC? (for HTPC)

And then build a server for storing all movies, music..etc (have it in garage somewhere).

But I never built a server before and not sure how it will work. Will I able to stream from that server HD movies to my HTPC?

If I will have a server, my HTPC doesn't really needs a lot of space, right? Just enough for OS files, XBMC and other applications, if any.

I plan to build HTPC, I made a post about it few days ago.

Initially I was thinking to put inside a large 1TB or 2TB 3.5" HardDrive (inside of my HTPC)... but now I am kind of not sure.

Should I get a small, 2.5" harddrive for Linux and XBMC? (for HTPC)

And then build a server for storing all movies, music..etc (have it in garage somewhere).

But I never built a server before and not sure how it will work. Will I able to stream from that server HD movies to my HTPC?

If I will have a server, my HTPC doesn't really needs a lot of space, right? Just enough for OS files, XBMC and other applications, if any.

Usually if people build a server for an HTPC, it's strictly for storage...
So they can save space in the HTPC...
If you were going to stream things from your server to your HTPC then to a tv...
Wouldn't it make more sense to stream a movie from the server directly to the TV?

But HTPC will be connected to a TV by HDMI, right?

And server will stream files to HTPC and to Desktop PC.

Sure, it could do that...
Or you could use it as filestorage for both an HTPC and a Desktop PC...

Again... No point in Streaming from a Server, to a Computer, then to a TV/Monitor.
When you could just connect the "Server" to those same TV's/Monitors.

A server is just another computer.
So basically what you're asking is...
Can I connect a computer to a computer connected to a TV/Monitor to play a movie?
Yes... But it would be simpler... To connect a computer to a TV/Monitor and save yourself the money/hassle...

mmm how would you stream something directly to TV from Server?

And what do you mean streaming to TV/Monitor? HTPC will be connected directly to it.

Build me a Cheap Server

I need a server for storing movies.
Can you build me something cheap? maybe low-power.

(had to make another thread, since my first was filled up by some really useless replies).

Re: Build me a Cheap Server

I am building HTPC not just for watching movies.

Want to connect to local TV, maybe browse web when needed, play basic old school games.. etc and others. (have an OS there, Linux, which I can use)

And server I want to keep all movies (those which I want to keep), do torrents, maybe like web-server (which I could open from all computers in my house, and would be nice to stream tv-channels from server (if it is possible... I heard before some people connecting TV-Tunner to their server).
Initially it probably will be just for movies, but I probably will also download torrents from there and few other things.

The way this usually works is:
You have a TV connected to your HTPC.
Your HTPC is also connected to extra storage (either through the network or via an external hdd). The 'server' you're talking about is just another PC. Heck, your HTPC can also correctly be called a 'media server' or 'file server'.

What orihS is getting at is that you don't NEED to do it that way. You can ALSO forget about the external/network storage and just store everything on the HTPC.

Personally I've got mine setup like the first example, HTPC with external drives attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom