building a server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvbutler

Solid State Member
Hi, im new to the forums and have some questions concerning servers. I want to build a cheap server thats close 500-600 dollars. I have never built a server before, but I have built a pc could anyone give me any tips on what to buy? thanks alot.

most server motherboards cost about half of what you want to spend on this thing total, if you can give us some sort of an idea of what this is going to be use for maybe we can help.

probably just hoasting a website, I would like to be able to host games on it but thats probably not a reality for the kind of money ill be spending.

Not all servers require Tyan mobos with dual CPUs and gigs of ECC RAM. You can basically turn any functional PC into a server.

yeah i was planning on using linux or windows 2000 for software... but what hardware would you guys recomend?

Hardware for your budget:

Middle class mobo, single socket. Personally, i'd go with DDR2 RAM for upgradability's sake.

AMD 3500. Somewhere around there. Nice and cheap, decent speed. 87 bucks.

Generic RAM.

A big HDD. Seagate Barracuda 300GB minimum, i'd say. Plus at 95 bucks for SATA 2.0, it's an H-E-double-hockey-sticks of a price.

$30 DVD-RW drive would be more than perfect. You could probably get by fine with just a CD-RW, but with the price range so small, you'd be saving maybe 3 bucks. Not worth it, IMO.

Middle class video card. Nothing too expensive, but nothing too cheap.

I'd say forget a sound card. You more than likely won't use it.

yeah single socket basic pc i highyl suggest that you run linux on it. Since its free, and comes with tons of community support if you are having an issue.

Now it all comes down to if you want to keep this machine for years to come, it still should run fast no matter what, but upgrading the hardware doesnt seem like a real possibilty for this price range.

I suggest a Sempron processor w/ socket 754 and 512 of RAM and with the nice big hard drive that was mentioned earlier, and probably a 16mb graphics card at most is what you will need.

Sorry for any typ-o's I am in a rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom