Building a quiet PC - looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlynow13

Solid State Member
So I'm planning on building a PC, and want to make it as quiet as possible.

Here are the specs -

Processor -
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB

Motherboard -
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN

Videocard -
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out

What kind of power supply should I get, that is as quiet as possible?
Also, would I need an additional cooling fan?
Is the video card noisy?

Thanks

Noise level seems to vary by brand and customer, on top of that I've never owned an 8800GT so I can't help on how loud that one is. I've heard the 9600GT can be very quiet though. Have any case in mind?

case -

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio

I have a 520HX and its very quiet.

I don't know about the 8800GT but I have the GTS and its very quiet if you plan on running it on stock settings. I have mine overclocked and keep the fan running at 70% at all times so its a little bit louder but not too bad. The GPU fan running at 70% is the loudest thing I can hear.

What do you mean by additional cooling fan? Are you talking about a heatsink and fan for the CPU? If you don't plan on overclocking, the stock one should be fine, but a nice aftermarket unit will cool better.

I have mine in a Coolermaster CM690 case and its comes with 3 120mm fans. I added 3 more 120mm fans and its still fairly quiet.

case -

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio

I upgraded this week from the antec 900 to the cosmos 1100 and i had to physically show my wife that the computers were on, just the monitor was off, she didn't believe me because the 747 jet engine that is the antec 900 wasn't there. Turns out she was relying on the turbine sound and cross draft to let her know the comp was on - absolutely true story.

That thing cooled like a champ tho!

the HD3870 is actually pretty quiet, from what I've heard and seen on a 3dgameman review

but I haven't heard much about the 8800gt's loudness

you should go water cooling i had it, it rocked kept every thing below 45C on full load and was pretty quiet, so as long as it don't leak you will be fine

The 8800gt stock cooler is loud once you go past 40%. To combat this, you can pick up an evga akimbo cooler directly from evga for $47 shipped, or buy their akimbo card with the cooler installed already.

This cooler is very quiet, and is basically and 8800gts cooler modded for an 8800gt. I keep my fan speed at 60% and can barely heat it, 50% and lower and its pretty much silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom