building pc. what shall i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesey

Solid State Member
Hi guys
New here, i want to build a PC for gaming. I will get part by part as i get the money for it. What do i need to get first?
a case would be a good first wouldnt it? lol
Which would you recommend, I live in the UK by the way?

Thanks

well since i don't know ur exact budget....

Get a full tower case (Thermaltake, Antec, Coolermaster)
AMD X2 Processor series (AMD's r best for gaming)
NVIDIA 7800 Series Video Cards (Best cards on the market so far)
1GB PC3200 Dual Channel RAM
500w PSU, at least
SATA Hard Drives

well that's just to start u off but ur gonna have to do research on parts. this forum has a lot of threads about building a gaming machine

Sata Drives -> I recommend seagate....haven't had a mechanical problem with them....ever....unlike maxtor and wd......

Power Supply -> I recommend a Turbo Cool unit.......if you really wanna go crazy get the Turbo Cool 1100 watt

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=TC1KW

A reliable power supply is very important....if you dont plan on going with a turbocool....then I suggest buying one thats very heavy. Heavier unit usually mean better transformers.

I guess a nice case probably like a thermatake.........

I would also recommend a workstation processor, like a opteron dual core......

Finally, I would liquid cool the thing.
Get a liquid cooling kit....processor waterblock, chipset waterblock, hard drive waterblock, videocard waterblock.....you may need assemble you own kit with 2 radiators......liquid cooling is sweet....

If you're worried about you components getting soaked and fried then get FluidXP+. Its a non conductive glycerin liquid that can be used as a coolant. Fox news showed a laptop running submerged in it. Also, i believe they have some cool videos on their web site too.

why would he get a 1100 watt psu? lol no need for that much. a 450w 480w is probly the lowest you wanna go. i reccomend a antec 500w, not no 1100 watt psu

You won't need an 1100W PSU. Even if you are running the highest end of everything the most you will need is the PCP&C 850W. I would recommend getting an AMD X2 CPU and a eVGA 7800GT or GTX. You should just save all your current cash and buy the rig at once for then you can enjoy it instead of only having a few parts. Also I would recommend getting 2GB (1GBx2) of some quality RAM. OCZ is a good brand.

Are you planning on overclocking at all?

Also, you don't need watercooling. Fan cooling will be just fine. If you really want to go with the watercooling route, it is better to piece it together than to buy a kit. Someone can help you pick out some parts if you want to go with watercooling.

What exactly is Overclocking?

How much do you think it will cost me for a decent gaming pc? in £

Overclocking is making the processor go faster/work harder than it does stock. I think someone else can give you a better explanation. As for it being in pounds, gotta find someone that is from England, or find a unit converter. About $1500-2000 USD is a high-end gaming pc. so for a decent I'd say anywhere from $800-1500 USD.

Cool. Ive looked at components and have decided what i am going to get, i dont want to spend tooo much, but like, a year later i can upgrade to the best stuff. I have counted u and am going to be spending about £700, thats about $1200 USD i think

You can get a pretty nice computer for $1200 USD. List the components you're looking at and we will pick it apart and see if there is anything you should change.

If I had $1200 I would get this system:

CPU- AMD64 3200+ Venice- $160
Mobo- eVGA sli mobo (comes free with 7800GT from MonarchComputer)
Ram- OCZ Value 2GB (2x1GB)- $194
DVD Burner- NEC Dual Layer- $50
Hard Drive- WD 250GB SATA II- $108
Video Card- eVGA 7800 GT- $360 (MonarchComputer)
Sound Card- Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic- $114
Power Supply- OCZ Modstream 520W- $105
Case- Your Choice- $60
OS- Windows XP Pro Upgrade- $80

Total- $1231

You can always save money by going with onboard audio or going with a 6800 series video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom