Building a PC for browsing and photo manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Ok well this post is for a friend. Basically they want a new computer because there's is pretty **** old now.

They just want to browse and do photo manipulation which I assume is just using programmes like photoshop and the like.

The budget is a max of £500. NO OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers are needed.

I tried to price something up but it went over the £500..I'm used to trying to spec up gaming PCs with a higher budget.:p

if you could use this site it would be helpful

Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs and more at Ebuyer

thanks for any responses!:D

Something like this? It's at Scan.co.uk, and it has some freedom in the budget. The CPU might be a bit of overkill though, you might want to go for a dual-core instead and save some money (it would bring the total price down to about £425).
scantechforums1-1.png

I wouldn't get the Q8200, the Q8 series was a load of crap. You'd be better off getting an E8400 instead.

And I'm sure you can find a cheaper set of RAM.

EDIT: Oh, and grab a HDD with a higher cache...500gb with an 8mb cache?

How about this guys? It's under 500 which is good although I may have cheaped out on the power supply, I'll get something better if need be it'll still be under £500 like a corsair 450watt.

For the hard drive, someone said samsung F1's were good. I could squeeze in a 1TB version, assuming i stick with that powersupply and be just over £500. If the 640GB one is ok though I'll leave it alone.

computerbuild.jpg

And I'm sure you can find a cheaper set of RAM.
Not really, £40 tends to be the minimum for decent 4GB nowadays.

--
Here's the same configuration, except with a 1TB drive and an E7400. Also went for a different PSU - it looks like overkill, but it's only a tenner more than the 450W Corsair and it's modular too. So worth it, IMO :)
scantechforums4.png

Seriously? That sucks. I was just going by USD to GBP conversion rates. You can get about the same speed RAM you have there for 24 to 25 GBP (converted from USD).

Yeah, it's annoying... I mean, there's VAT (extra 15% right there), then a little bit extra so they can make up for currency conversion, and there's the Pointless Tax that companies like Sony add on (where the price is randomly higher for no reason). It all adds up :(
You can only just get 2GB with £25.

As an example of RAM pricing, here's a screenshot of Corsair RAM on sale at Scan.co.uk

gt7sanremo said:
Never heard of NorthQ psu, get the Corsair 450 instead. Corsair is a reliable brand.
While normally I'd recommend solely Corsair for a build (I'm a Corsair fanboy), I know NorthQ to be a good, reliable brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom