Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBFan

Solid State Member
Hi,

Following the crash of my previous computer, I'm building a PC for the first time. I could use some advice about the components.

I've been looking through pieces for a while and finally came up with an initial lineup, but I'm not convinced enough to buy anything yet. I could just use some help looking through them, making sure everything I need is there, and make sure I'm not overpaying for something I could get cheaper or getting something I don't need.

Here are the components I selected:

Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Motherboard: Newegg.com - MSI 785GT-E63 AM3/AM2/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD8000AARS 800GB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PGS24G6400ELK

Disc Drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives

Case: Newegg.com - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

TV Tuner Card: Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner MC-Kit 1183 PCI Interface

Power Supply: Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors.

OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

This would be right around the top of what I'm willing to spend ($800-$900). I could go to $1000, but would prefer to not do that. Less is better here.

Generally, this will be a media PC. Uses for the computer:
- Internet, word processing, etc. (basic uses)
- TV Recording
- Blu-ray Movies
- Some game playing, nothing too intense

Some notes:
- I don't need a disc burner. I find that on my current PC, it is rare that I actually use it and when I do use it, it causes a lot of problems. I use an external hard drive for backups.
- The computer will be on quite a bit, so I want to make sure it doesn't overheat. That has happened to a previous computer of mine.
- I will be transplanting the keyboard, mouse, and printer from my old computer to this one. The printer will probably be upgraded soon after, but not right now.
- I still need to add speakers and a memory card reader on. Speakers can be a cheaper brand right now, something decent but nothing big. Probably around $20. As for the memory card reader, I would like to have one on because I do have a few memory cards I use. Once again, something cheap but effective.
- For the case, I understand function over fashion, but still would like something that looks a little sleek. The one I chose seemed to fit both well.

I think that covers everything. Please let me know if something isn't clear or not listed.

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: Just to add on, if anyone has a better idea that they have put together several times before, I would also welcome that advice. I'm not set on any of these components, and actually might do some shopping tomorrow at a sale that Milwaukee PC (www.milwaukeepc.com/blackfriday) is having. I don't want to rush anything, just adding on to it.

EDIT 2: I will be shopping tomorrow, plan to pick up a monitor and speakers. For now, I've taken off the monitor, and the ones I'm looking at are ASUS monitors. Any opinions on those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom