Building A Non-Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer player

Baseband Member
I am planning on building a non gaming computer. I will using this computer for low intense computing. I surf the web, type documents, listen to music, store/edit photos, using my iPod, watch DVD's, and watch videos from the internet. I rarely play games. If I do, it is usually low end games like the origianl Roller Coaster Tycoon, board games, ect...

However, I do want this computer to be better than the one I currently have:

Dell 2400
Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
512 MB DDR Ram
40 GB 7200 RPM HD
Extreme Intergrated Graphics
CD Burner/DVD Drive

I want to go AMD this time instead on Intel. Should I get the 754 or 939 socket? Will it make a difference for what I am doing? All I really need is a good motherboard/cpu combo. I already have the ram, hard drive, case, and drives picked out.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Whats wrong with that PC then? For what you are doing you are not going to see an improvement.

If that PC is slow, a Format can do wonders.

Trifid said:
Whats wrong with that PC then? For what you are doing you are not going to see an improvement.

If that PC is slow, a Format can do wonders.

Hmmm, well if I won't see an improvement maybe I will just reformat.

I am considering getting an 80 GB hard drive because my current 40 GB has only 10% free (7.34 GB out of 37.2 GB).

Also, the 512 MB ram I have is two 256 MB sticks. Will I benefit from going up to 768 MB? Will it make a difference?

It wouldn't for what you are doing. I can so easily fill up a 40gb hdd with my photoshop work, and that would benefit you.

Yeah, toss in another hard drive for storage. Maybe, if you feel like it's creeping along still, another stick of 512mb of ram...

Ryan

Hmmm, well if I won't see an improvement maybe I will just reformat.

I am considering getting an 80 GB hard drive because my current 40 GB has only 10% free (7.34 GB out of 37.2 GB).

Also, the 512 MB ram I have is two 256 MB sticks. Will I benefit from going up to 768 MB? Will it make a difference?

Yea you definitely don't need a whole new computer, getting a HD with 80Gb or 120Gb should suffice.

I really don't think more memory is needed, but if you chose to get more then you want two sticks of the same settings and speed so you can run them in dual channel for a boost in speed.

I don't think his board will support dual channel, and even if it did, all you need is pairs of the same size.

If you want more memory, check how many ram slots you have free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom