Building new system but which CPU? / Suggestions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! You all gave me some nice suggestions. I really like some of the ideas here: I had done some "shopping" before all your replies came in. What do you think of these?:

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP43TF LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - MSI N9400GT-MD512H GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This is $297 before shipping and rebates.

I do like Trotter's idea for the Sapphire video card. I've traditionally been an Nvidia guy, but I do have the Sapphire Radeon X1650 at this moment.

Is there a significant difference between the E7400 and E8400/8500 CPU's? I figured that if I was to pay upwards of $160 for the processor, I should probably buy a quad-core, no? The Intel Mobo seems to have everything that I want - PATA/SATA, PCI X'Press (1X and 2.0/16X), three standard PCI slots, 6 USB, etc.

EDIT: I just took a second look at the Asus P5Q SE Plus Mobo and I'm really liking it! I think I might go with that one.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep `em comin'!

Viken K.

The 8400/8500 are faster. They're both above 3 ghz, while the 7400 is 2.8 ghz.
I'm not sure if I'd rather go with a quad, or the 8500. I'm using the 8400 though.

With Trotter's build, and my motherboard, you'll have a better machine than that. For less than the cost of the E8400 you're getting a triple core processor that overclocks like crazy, especially with that Biostar board. I have it myself, so trust me on that one.

Also, you'd be getting a MUCH better card, the 9400GT is a joke. The 4830 would blow it sky high out of the water.

All in all, a better build that will be faster for around the same cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom