Building new system but which CPU? / Suggestions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I'm wanting to build a new system (on the cheap) but I am embarrasingly out-of-date on the modern Intel CPU's. I plan on using a mixture of parts I currently have and new parts, which I will elaborate in a moment. I am not a gamer, but I do need a newer more powerful computer, especially since I do a lot of Photoshop and RAW image processing (Nikon's Capture NX is sloooooow on my computer).

What I currently have (don't laugh):

Intel P4/3.0 Ghz on Intel D865PERL mobo
2GB RAM
Radeon X1650 Graphics Card (AGP 8x)
Two 500GB SATA Hard Drives
Rosewill Case and 400W PS
Two IDE Optical Drives (CD/DVD burners)
Add-on 4 port USB card (PCI)

Ideally, I'd like to get away with buying a new mobo, processor and RAM and use everything else, but I don't think I'll find a new mobo that'll support the 8X AGP video card.

I prefer to stay with Intel CPU's. My problem is that I haven't kept up with the CPU's. I understand what the Dual Cores and Quad Cores are, but I'm unsure about the difference are between Dual Core and Core2Duo (is there even a difference?). I figure that a quad core is self-explanatory - four cores.

My budget is about $350 (preferrably less). With that, I'd like to get a new Mobo/Processor, min 2GB RAM, and (if I have to) a new video card. I would need a mobo with SATA and IDE connections to accomodate my optical drives. I would like to reuse my video card, but I suppose I would need to buy a PCI XPress card.

If there's anything that I'm overlooking, please let me know.

If someone could suggest some parts for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Viken K.

but I'm unsure about the difference are between Dual Core and Core2Duo (is there even a difference?).
Core 2 Duo is Intel's line of dual-core processors.

Here's what I cam up with. $330 without shipping costs.

Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video Card: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
I mostly agree with this, might want to go for an E8400/8500 instead though?

I don't think that board will handle the pII x3...it would be pretty sweet if you could do an 720 build for that cost though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom