I just finished ordering the last of my parts, and they should be here tomorrow. I haven't built a PC is a few years, and either can't remember some things, or just don't know how to handle some of the newer technology.
Here's my system that's coming:
Core 2 Duo 6600
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium (Nforce 590)
Corsair 2GB 800 Ram
Antec P180b Case
Silverstone 600W PS with modular cabling
XFX 7950GX2 Extreme Edition
X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Zalman CNPS9500 LED CPU cooler
Maxtor 250gb OEM HD (no software)
a couple of extra Thermaltake 120mm case fans
Liteon DVD burner
Artic Silver 5 thermal compund
Win XP MCE
Ok, now the questions.
1. Once I have evertying hooked up, and I power on, I'm assuming I go into the HD setup (I've only dealt with IDE drives, and I'm totally unfamiliar with SATA). Will I need any special boot disks or anything for this? Or will I be able to set my HD up through the BIOS?
2. Once past the HD issue, next comes the OS. I've installed operating systems before, but long ago. I believe I need to let it do it's thing, and it'll detect all the crap on my motherboard, and load the drivers accordingly? At which point do I need to load up the motherboard drivers?
3. I've read some issues with the BIOS not detecting the ram properly, and setting the speed at 667mhz instead of the 800 it's rated for. Is this a simple thing to do? How is it done?
4. This motherboard comes with onboard sound (like most anymore), but I don't want to use it. I want to use the X-Fi. The actual sound ports are on a seperate "tiny" card that plugs into a special slot on the mobo. Can I opt to just not install this when I'm setting everything up? If I do that, will I still need to go into BIOS to disable it, so that I may install the X-Fi? At which point in the process will I need to install the X-Fi (before or after OS install)?
5. The DVD burner is also OEM, and I'm assuming will not come with any software. Will I need drivers to make it work? If I do, how will I get them to the new PC without the drive? lol
6. At which point in the process (before or after OS install) will I need to plug in the Ethernet cable?
7. About the Artic Silver. Will I need to remove anything that currently exists on a new CPU before applying? If so, how can I do it safely? I understand a TINY amount of compound is needed. Can anyone please elaborate on how much is needed?
8. USB Keyboards and Mice. That's all I have right now. I don't believe I have anymore PS2 stuff. Is this going to be a problem? Heck, I don't even know if the mobo has PS2 ports, so perhaps not lol.
9. I've looked and looked for an up-to-date building guide, and haven't been able to find one. If anyone knows of a very good one, a link would be appreciated.
10. The mobo has 2 fans that I believe attach to the heatsinks on the heat pipe area surrounding the CPU. Are these necessary with aftermarket cooling? Advantageous? Required?
11. Since I'm only using 1 video slot. Which one do I use? The upper or lower?
12. If anyone can think of anything else I'm missing, please let me know. The parts should be here tomorrow (I hope).
Thanks in advance for any replies and help.