Building a new PC. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Building a new PC.

I am currently working on building myself a "nice" desktop for a good price, I am wondering if there is anything else I need to have it preform better, or anything else I will need to make it work correctly. I have currently purchased:

AMD Athlon II x2 240 2.8ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Micro ATX
G.Skill 2Gb(2x1Gb) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDRw 800 (PC2 6400)
RAIDMAX Tornado case w/ 450w power supply

- Other than these parts, what else would I need to create a PC that would work well for WoW(World of Warcraft) and general web stuff?

-I am mostly into WoW so that's what I am going to use it for, should I get another grafix card?

- I also have a SATA HDD from my Dell XPS400 that I want to use on this, can I install that HDD and use the Dell windows disk to install windows(the recovery one that came with it when I bought it) and then install all the drivers with Everest or some similar program?

- Are there any upgrades I don't NEED but I should get, to make the computer noticeably faster?

I want to run it at at least 30~ fps at at least med-high grafix settings and be able to look at stuff online w/ firefox etc. while on the game in windowed mode.

Thanks for any help

Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Building a new PC.

Basically this combo then - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Looks good except for the case/PSU - according to one review it has only one SATA connector so if you need another one to power a optical drive, for example, then you'll need a converter.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Should I buy another grafix card or should the integrated grafix work ok with WoW?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

you might be able to play with the onboard on like, the lowest settings maybe.

a dedicated gfx card would be much better, but we need to know your budget.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't really have a "budget" I am just getting what I want when I need it if I can afford it. I can probably spare around 150~ for a graphix card, if my old one (I believe it's NVidia GeForce 6800) doesn't work. As for my Windows question, will the Dell Windows disk work for it? Or is it bound to a certain chipset etc?
Closed Thread