Building a New Comptuer ... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building a New Comptuer ...

all credit goes to Vaanish for kindly coming up with a potential system for me for ~600

case: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

cooler: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

CPU: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

DVD/CD player: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

graphics card: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

hard drive: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

monitor: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

mobo: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

OS: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

PSU: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

RAM: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

what do you guys think? i'm planning to order some time this week, so i want to make sure everything's a-OK

once, again, all credit goes to Vaanish!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11
Default Re: Building a New Comptuer ...

looks good!

enjoy the build.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish

Thank you for giving me credit for the build I appreciate it

Just one thing: I would now go with XP Home:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Same price as vista, but only less of a hog, and applications are guarenteed to work with it, unlike vista which has some known compatibility issues.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I was going to say the same thing but I didn't feel like getting into the XP VS. VISTA argument. lol
Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaanish View Post
Thank you for giving me credit for the build I appreciate it

Just one thing: I would now go with XP Home:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Same price as vista, but only less of a hog, and applications are guarenteed to work with it, unlike vista which has some known compatibility issues.
no problem, mate. it's your work, so your credit! thanks again

thanks for the feedback Static_11! will start buying soon...

will vista replace XP as the standard OS for most office computers (in England) any time soon?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

eh. office computers? not sure.

I still see very many computers with windows 98 here in the states in schools and stuff. Most of the higher end office careers for sure have xp though.. and probably still will for some time to come.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_11 View Post
eh. office computers? not sure.

I still see very many computers with windows 98 here in the states in schools and stuff. Most of the higher end office careers for sure have xp though.. and probably still will for some time to come.
ah righto. i only asked because i don't want to be ignorant about the most prevalent OS. but if XP will remain for a few more years, then i'll stick with XP
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

if youre going to get vista. then there is absolutely no point in getting home basic. complerte waste of money. either go for xp or vista home premium. basic is **** on a stick
Old 07-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

E4400 cost the same as E4300
Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Patron

also if getting vista get 64 bit and buy some ram the sweet spot for vista and gaming is 4gb although 2gb performs well the benches show a marked improvement when using 4gb and ddr2 ram is so cheap now its only and extra 50 squid