Building My First Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholaos

Beta member
Righto, so I haven't had any hands-on experience in this topic, but I've read a lot about it and I'm currently undergoing IT studies at high school. I'm very interested in this kind of thing, and I thought a great way to learn further is to actually try my hand at building a computer. I've gone ahead and searched up some parts, and I've tried my best to research if they were compatible, but I'm not entirely sure and I'm just going to list them and ask that you guys can give me a run-down of whether it'll work or not. :p

--
Okay, so, as for the case I've chosen the Cooler Master HAF 912. I've heard that it's a very good case, given the nice size, and the apparently good airflow. I found it for $150.

As for motherboard, I've selected the "Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P P67 DDR3 Intel 1155 pin Motherboard". Ranging around the $185 mark.

My Ram would be "Kingston KVR 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1333", which comes to $99. Kingston's a cheap brand, but they manufacture some pretty solid hardware. 8GB might seem a bit much, but I don't intend to upgrade this any time soon.

I've chosen the "Intel Core i5-2400 1155 pin boxed CPU" which I found online for $209.

As I was reading about the HAF 912, I come across a graphics card recommendation which I looked further into. It's the "Palit Nvidia GeForce 1GB GTX460 Graphic HDMI Video HDCP" at about $201. After further reading, it seems a very good choice.

Now I wasn't too sure what to do with Sound cards, so I just went and picked the "Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio Sound Card" from the list I was searching. It's about $53, but yeah, I'm not very sure... What do you guys think?

Next, I decided I wanted an internal Wireless Network Card, as opposed to some external USB thing. What do you guys think of the "Tenda W322P V2.0 PCI Wireless-N 300M 2Tx2R Network Card" at $30?

And yeah, the DVD Tray I selected was a "Samsung IDE 22x Black DVD RW", at $32.

The HDD I'm interested in is the "Hitachi 3.5" Deskstar 1TB SATA HDD" which provides a very large amount of storage for a good price ($55).

And last but not least, I intend to power it all with the “750W "XFX" Black Edition Modular PSU, Single high power” Power supply unit. The cheapest I could find it was $200.
--

So then! What do you guys think? Did I have a mental blank and forget something? Will this actually work? And if so, would it make for a good gaming computer? Sorry for all the questions, and again, if it's all completely haywire and stupid, please understand that I'm new to this and I did do my best to find out whether they were compatible. Perhaps I just failed miserably. And also, do you think 750W is enough to power it all? I heard that it's a good Wattage to aim for, so I tried to find a quality unit.

Thanks in advance guys!

Thanks heaps for the reply! Though I'd just like to mention, all the parts I listed I already found on Australian online stores. Do you reckon the parts I listed would work?

And thank you for telling me about the sound, that would've been a waste of money.

EDIT: The reason I'm a bit hesitant about your selection is that I couldn't find them on Australian sites. I figure Newegg is an American site, and I'm not to keen about purchasing from said stores, if you know what I mean..

Samsung IDE 22x Black DVD RW, this is not going to work if your motherboard has no IDE plugs.

Intel Core i5-2400, I recommend you get the 2500k instead because it is unlocked.

All the other parts you listed should be compatible.

Awesome, thank you very much! I'll won't get the 2400k then, but I'm not sure if I should get the i5 2500k or the i7 2600k. Do you reckon It'd be best to get the 2600k or would that just be a waste of money?

And I'll change the RAM to the "G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/PC3" sticks too. They seem much better quality than the kingstons.

As for the DVD RW, what do you suggest? Is it just a matter of purchasing the IDE plugs or do I have to get a DVD RW component that doesn't use them?

And yeah, any suggestions to up the parts I have already? :3

Again, thanks for all your help so far!

EDIT: I'd just like to ask, what exactly is the difference between locked and Unlocked CPUs? I've seen it written here and there but I never quite found an explanation. :S I know, I'm sorry for my ignorance, but it'd just be nice to know these things for future references. :)

As for unlocked/locked, they are taking about the multiplier on the cpu. My numbers are just used for example so they are off abit.
Basically the speed is calculated by the fsb x multiplier. So 100mhz(fsb) x 33(Multiplier) = 3.3ghz. So if the multiplier changes to say 24, I'll have 2.4ghz and so on.

The 2500(LOCKED), the max multiplier is 41x, so the max speed it can have is about 4.1ghz
The 2500k(UNLOCKED), the max multiplier is 57x, so the max speed it can have is about 5.7ghz.

I guess if you never plan on overclocking your cpu, than you can just use the locked version, if you overclock get the k version.

For the dvd rw, just get another one that uses the "sata" interface. The IDE is old tech and is being phased out.

I don't know which cpu you should get, really depends on what other things you plan to do with the computer.

View attachment 4678

Attachments

• limitedoc.jpg
    limitedoc.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 70
Thankyou very much, you've been a great help.

Yeah, I think I'll got with the 2500k then. It's a lot cheaper and it's not much slower. Depends on how much I'm willing to spend on the day I'm purchasing in the end. xD

I guess that's all my questions answered. I'm ready to purchase and assemble then! Hopefully all goes well! Either way, I'll give it some time and research a bit more before I do that, just in case I decide against something. Once again, thank you very much for the quick replies and helpful information. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom