Building a general purpose PC (Home desktop) opinions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whelkmaster

Solid State Member
Good morning guys

Im currently throwing together a build for a family member who isnt the most advanced computer user, in fact he is a total beginner and has simply asked me to "build him a computer".

So taking into account that im making a PC that is not intended for gaming (and never will be) is essentially an internet/home office machine I have come up with the following build

MoBo: Gigabyte GA770TD3L, AMD770 Motherboard - GA-770T-D3L - Scan.co.uk

CPU: AMD CPU Athlon II 250 Dual Core Processor - ADX250OCGQBOX - Scan.co.uk

GPU: Asus HD 5450 Silent Graphics Card - EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) - Scan.co.uk

Also I have taken into account all other required componants (optical, RAM, case etc) but my main interest is getting the core right and making sure the parts I have picked will work together well. Im aware that the GPU is basic but the needs are basic and so I see it as a reasonable option without having to rely on a board with onboard graphics

Anyway I would love to hear some insight on wether the parts I have picked will constitute a reasonable machine for home use

My thanks

Whelk

If gaming is not in the picture, then I would consider a motherboard with integrated graphics.

Note that specific motherboard has several revisions but like most motherboard makers, Gigabyte maintains QVL - qualified vendor lists - for CPU and RAM that is compatible for that motherboard on the boards webpage. For example, here is the page for Rev 8.8. You MUST buy a CPU from the CPU list but there are too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test them all, so you must buy RAM with the same specs as that listed.

Also, I do not see operating system listed. Finally, to not try to cut costs by buying a cheap power supply. Get a quality supply from a reputable maker.

very much in the design stage at the moment, with it being intended to be used simply for home internet/office use I see no reason that it should be too highly powered, although I like to leave things open to upgrade in the future.

Thank you for the point in the right direction regarding checking the supported CPU's from the linked page, it was most helpful and a thing I feel I should have know from the start (still we live and learn)

With regards to an operating system I have ordered a copy of windows 7 for this system, will most certainly be looking at reputable PSU's as I have had issues before with cheap ones (not to mention buying value cases inc PSU)

Thanks again

Whelk

although I like to leave things open to upgrade in the future.
Always wise. Note that selecting a motherboard with integrated graphics does not, in any way, prevent you from adding a graphics card in the future. It just means you don't have to worry about a card today. And since many of these integrated graphics solutions are used in computers that will be integrated in to quality home theater systems as HTPCs, they are very capable graphics solutions - even capable of some acceptable gaming (with a suitable CPU and sufficient amounts of RAM).

Agreed. A decent PSU, 4GB of RAM (no real reason to get less), mobo with integrated graphics, 7200RPM HDD with a few hundred GB capacity, mid level CPU and you're well on the way. Don't forget though that the components that interface with the user are the most important, so a nice monitor, some reasonable speakers, keyboard and mouse are worth figuring into the budget as is a solid chassis.
Good luck with the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom