Building Gaming Rig, but unsure of parts compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadzdude

Beta member
Hi All,
I've been using an HP slimline for the last 4 years and it is time for an upgrade. I've decided to try building a new PC and since it is my first time I'd like to confirm that the parts will work together and that they are the best parts for the price.
I'm hoping this will work as a gaming rig playing all games with high setting at medium to high resolutions (maybe up to 1920x1080). I overdid the PSU a bit because I'm planning on getting another video card for crossfire after a single one is too outdated.

Here are the links to the parts at the best price I could find:

GPU-- XFX HD687AZNFC Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCIe, Dual mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI, Includes Dirt3 Game w/Registration at TigerDirect.com
CPU-- Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
WiFi Card-- EnGenius EPI-3601S Wireless G Network Adapter - 108Mbps, 802.11g, PCI, Long Range at TigerDirect.com
Memory x3-- Crucial CT25664BA1339 2GB PC10600 DDR3 Desktop Memory Upgrade - 1x2048MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 1333MHz at TigerDirect.com
Mobo-- Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z68 Express, 2133MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 7.1-CH Audio, Intel HD Graphics, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 at TigerDirect.com
HDD-- Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB at TigerDirect.com
Disc Drive-- LG WH12LS30K 12x Blu-Ray Burner - BD-R, 12x, BD-R DL 12x, BD-RE 2x, BD-RE DL 2x, DVD±R 16x, DVD±R DL 8x, DVD+RW 8x, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, CD-R 48x, CD-RW 24x, Internal, SATA, 4MB, LightScribe (OEM) at TigerDirect.com
SSD-- Newegg.com - Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V60GB2 2.5" 60GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OS-- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English at TigerDirect.com
Mid-Tower Case-- Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 CM 690 II ADVANCED TOWER ATX MATX USB - BLT Catalog!
PSU-- Newegg.com - LEPA G700-MA 700W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I'm open to suggestions of new parts, especially the mobo which I'm really unsure about. Keep in mind it needs to be able to handle crossfire and, since I threw in a ssd drive for quicker loading speeds, I'm thinking the mobo should have ssd caching ability, which is why I chose the z68 chipset. the chipset is about the only thing I'm sure of though, the reason I chose this board was because it had 3pcie x16 ports, so I'm assuming I'd be able to fit the 2 gpu's in there.

Sorry for the long post, hope it's not tl;dr :grin:, Thanks for your comments!

(My first post on TF)

That motherboard uses dual channel memory, so buy sticks in sets of two not x3.
Also, if you plan on overclocking get 1600MHz ram @1.5v with as low a CAS as you can afford, I assume you are since you are getting the i5 2500k. The "k" version CPUs are meant to be overclocked.
If you are doing heavy overclocking I would also suggest an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Thanks for your replies so far,
I remember reading somewhere that the Corsair Hx PSU's were better than the Tx versions. so I found this:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
It is something like $15 more, is there an important difference?

As for the memory, thanks for pointing out the dual channel thing, I didn't see that.
I found a couple of corsairs at a great rebate price:
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Dual Channel, 1600MHz, 4096MB at TigerDirect.com
Is this that I could use? It is cas9, I haven't really heard much about cas so is that good?
I do plan on overclocking a bit but not too heavily, but a friend has one that he overclocked and he didn't have any heat problems until about 4.7+ ghz, so I don't think I would need a cooler if I stay below that.

Thanks!

The psu is the backbone of your system if it faults your whole system can be damaged. When buying a psu you should buy the absolute best unit you can afford. Seasonic or PC Power and Cooling if possible, Antec or Corsair hx if your on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom