Building a Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDudeThatPwns

Solid State Member
Hello.

I'm new here, and i just have a few questions on this gaming PC that I'm soon going to build.

I don't need any help picking out the parts, as I've already done that, I just need someone to look over all my parts, and if there are any suggestions/compatibility issues, to let me know.

I'll start off with my case.

Case - Elite 330 Mid Tower Chassis

CPU - Intel i7-950 Quad-Core Processor (3.06 GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1366)

CPU Fan - Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Pro CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 New B3 Rev Motherboard (P67 chipset ATX, Intel?s 1155 Socket, USB 3.0/Sata 6Gb/s, Dual Lan, Bluetooth & Digi+VRM

Graphics Card - Zotac GeForce GTX 470 1280MB AMP Edition Graphics Card

Memory - G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit

Internal Hard drive 1 - Samsung HD105SI 1TB 32MB SATA (F3EG) 3.5 inch Hard Disk Drive

Internal Hard Drive 2 - 1TB CAVIAR GREEN AV SATA-II HDD (for games)

DVD R/W - LiteOn IHAS624-32 24x DVD-RW SATA LS LT Retail BLK

Fans - Akasa AK-FN057 Apache 12cm Fan (x 2)

Powe Supply - OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply

My only real problem is my power supply as Amazon(.co.uk) doesn't specify the Watts each unit needs. I'm thinking that if I don't find out, I'm just going to go with an 800 watt unit, but if anyone can help me out, that would be great.

(All the parts can be found on amazon.co.uk)

Thanks in advance,

TheDude

How come you're going with the old-gen i5s? You'll get better performance out of the new-gen (that's the i5 2500 and 2500K) for basically the same price, plus they overclock a lot better too.
Also, you'll probably want to go with a better case than that considering the high-performance hardware you're putting in it.

Btw, I have that same memory, and while I'm at 4.7GHz with it installed I can't recommend getting it, mostly because the heatsinks are crap and plasticky, and are far too big (which can be a problem when fitting large heatsinks).

What power supply are you planning on getting? Remember that amperage and build quality of the power supply are equally important as the wattage.

A good-quality 500W< should be fine, though you might want to go with a 600W for a bit of headroom. As long as it's good build quality and has all the necessary connections (particularly the two PCI-E connections that the GPU will need).

I'm assuming you meant the i7.

I didn't really look into much the i5's so i just went with one of the cheaper i7's, although if that's what you suggest, I'll swap over.

What would suggest as an alternative for the memory?

(I'll post back in a few minutes)

This is a good option for the memory
G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Though as it runs at 1.5V it won't work with the old-gen i5s and i7s.

Also, looking through again I notice you picked an AMD motherboard for an Intel CPU. They're 100% incompatible.

Are you going to be overclocking?

And yeah, I meant i7 in that last post. Sorry 'bout that :p

This is the CPU I recommend. It's £30 cheaper than the i7-950 and a good deal faster (it came out this year, compared to three years ago for the i7-950).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NX2/ref=pd_cp_computers_2
Since the motherboard you picked was wrong, I recommend
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P8P67-Motherboard-chipset-Bluetooth/dp/B004OA3UWW/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311788003&sr=1-3

However those options are for if you're going to overclock. If not, then you can get a slightly cheaper CPU and cheaper motherboard.

umm, the motherboard is AMD, processor is Intel. Doesn't work.

I'm sure he meant the i7. He meant last gen, as in the socket it type is very old. That is socket 1336, the newest is either 1156 or 1155, which will give you alot more choice.

Get G.Skill Ripjaws they have always worked for me.

ninja'd

I do plan to overclock, but not that much seeing as I'm not that hard-core. Since I can afford it though, I will get it.

Thanks a lot for the links, it helps a great deal. I'll update my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom