Building Friend's Computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot

Default Building Friend's Computer

I'm pretty confident on this build. I wouldn't buy from NCIX because of their ludicrous shipping policy, but he insisted that he wanted the Xion case which seems to be available only there. There were some other Canadian retailers with the same case, but apparently out of stock. He also insisted that he didn't want to pay extra for a better power supply, I highly advised against it, that'll be an issue he'll have to deal with - as long as the computer will boot, but it'll probably burn out in 3 months time... anyway, here's the build, slightly expensive, I would've preferred not buying from NCIX, but you know. Any suggestions? Btw, I'm a hardass OCZ fanboy and the ram fits the budget ($40 MIR not shown in the list), so, that's about the only thing you can't convince me to change

edit: oh, and he already has an optical drive, so that's obviously not included in the list, and take note that these are Canadian prices, so don't be like "omfg super expensive!! go to newegg!!"

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8...ixbuildbi6.png

^That comes to about $800 with taxes and shipping, which in my opinion is a rip-off

This build is tons better, from Canada Computers, it's $100 less with tax and shipping for a superior machine. As for the video card, the GT is literally an underclocked PRO. I easily got my GT +100MHz on core and memory to PRO stock speeds. The PRO doesn't even overclock at all, so a GT = PRO with OCing.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2756/ccbuildyy1.png

This is a similar build from Infonec, with a case he was interested in, but again, the shipping blows balls:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1008/icbuildjt4.png

edit: I linked the images instead due to big, awkward size..

Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
M.C. Etcher

Send a message via AIM to Grievearz
Default Re: Building Friend's Computer

Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

I'd get that processor, it'll give you more bang for your buck. It's turning out to be a real overclocking beast.

Maybe a little more storage, depending on what your friend is going to use the computer for, he could run through 250 gigs pretty fast.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot

Default Re: Building Friend's Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievearz View Post
Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

I'd get that processor, it'll give you more bang for your buck. It's turning out to be a real overclocking beast.

Maybe a little more storage, depending on what your friend is going to use the computer for, he could run through 250 gigs pretty fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkwürdigliebe View Post
and take note that these are Canadian prices, so don't be like "omfg super expensive!! go to newegg!!"
>:|

Yeah, I like the E2xxx line, he wants the E4400 though, and for $30 extra, you get 2MB of L2 cache