building first pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

a DIRTY baqqer

Solid State Member
Hi, Im hoping someone on here can help me out. I am going away to college next fall and I am looking to buy a computer, desktop or laptop doesnt matter. Im actually leaning towards the desktop right now. I know very little about computers and building them and I need some help. First let me be clear on the uses of the pc: I want a computer that is first and foremost for school. I will use it to play games occasionally, but it will be 90% for school.

Heres what I want: 6GB Memory, at least 2.50 GHz, id prefer 2.66, at least 500 GB hard drive at 7200 rpm and a pretty good video card with at least 512 MB. I dont want 2 monitors or unnecessary harddrive or disk drives or whatever. Looking at IBuyPower.com I saw so many things that I have no clue as to what to get. For example: Power supply, motherboard, which processor cooling fan will I need, Do I need an external hard drive, do I need a cd/dvd drive, the wireless internet. And so much more.

As you can see I've got a million questions and I need some answers. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Id prefer to spend like $1500 maybe a little more, but definitely no more than $2200.

Good luck man, im still learning myself too. from the sounds of it, you know more than i do lol.

But i think if you're gonna use it for school work 90% then get a laptop so you can lay down wherever and work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom