Building First Computer - Progress and Help Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinhas

Baseband Member
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, and new to the custom cumputer buliding process. I had a dell that lasted me for 7 years, and last week finaly took his last breath. I am quite suprised that it even lasted for that long, but I am not impressed with dell and do not want to get my new one from them. I realized that buidling your own is the way to go.

My knowledge about computers is limited, and I need to do a lot of reading and reasearch, and would love some help form you guys as well. I will treat this thread as a sort of progress log, where I can put all the info i gathered, plus getting help, suggestions and comments from this community.

My budget is revolving around 900$-1000$, and all i need is the computer, and maybe a monitor. (I realize the budget may change throught the process)

I will use this computer for gaming, and also for running a variety of design programs, such as AutoCAD, 3DMax, Photoshop, Google SketchUp, Revit Architecture and others.

From doing some initial research, I think I will probably need a QuadCore to acomplish the many multitasking that I will need (correct me if im wrong)

A good amount of RAM (4gigs?) will also be required, and a good video card.

Few questions I have off hand:
1) Motherboard - I absolutly have no idea about this.
2) I know the diff between Crossfire and Sli, but not sure which card to get, what is better these days, Nvidia or Radeon?
3) Cooler and Fans, done know how many, which ones and other things to consider.
4)CPU

I will be ordering from NewEgg.com

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help.

The budget does have a tendency to change your right its because you see an item then there is one which is $10 which is a bit better eventually the budget just spirals. We will try and help you as much as possible as I know building your first pc can be a very mind racking experience, even though the physical building is simple there is so much choice with components.

I take it you are a professional designer of some form given your choice of applications, which your are correct will warrant investing in a Quad core. You have the difficult choice now of whether to go with the brand new (released last month) I7 build, which may push your slightly over on budget but should give you a 10-30% performance increase over the now old gen Quad series that run on socket 775. Both are extremely fast platforms and as your upgrading from a pentium 4 dell I would hazard a guess you will be amazed by the difference in speed. Your applications I would say a set of 6gb would be best as CAD loves the ram crunching but as a gamer you would only need 4gb.

1) Decide between I7 920 and a budget increase or a Q9300 build and keeping it definately under budget.

2) hard question the bang for buck is a major contributing factor here is the basic rundown of single slot graphics solutions
Bottom ati 4850 < nvidia 9800gtx+ < ati 4870 < nvidia gtx260 < nvidia gtx260 55nm < nvidia gtx260 core 216 < nvidia gtx280 < ati 4870x2 < soon to be beat by the nvidia gtx 285 Top

Sli/crossfire isn't really something you should be looking into with you budget it gives 60-70% performance increase for 100% extra cost not really worth it unless your looking for a benchmarking machine.

3) Depends on case pick a few style cases you like off of newegg then we can help find the best case in the style you want.

4) Need your answer to question 1

Edit fat clown has done a good gaming build there but it wouldn't be the best for CAD

Thanks for the replies guys, FatClown, I think I will got with the QuadCore since I usualy use alot of porgrams simultaneously.

For a case I will probably get either

Newegg.com - NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
or
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU im thinking
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
or
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (but not in stock in newegg)

What you guys think about these 2 CPU's, like I said im looking for good performance with both gaming and design programs.

(I will probably will not overclock)

Now what will be my next step? How do I choose a motherboard, where do I make sure its compatible with the CPU's, Video Card and RAM?

I am thinking of staying with XP, will this be a problem?

Also, I understand that both of the CPU's mentioned above have bad fans, and I will need to get another cooler, how does that work? Which ones should i look at.

I realy dont know the difference between the Nvidia and Radeon? Which would work best for my needs? I will not use Crossfire/Sli.
What will be a good but no so pricey Video Card

What is the difference between the two video cards? All i see the the core clock? Is that it or is there anything else?

Thanks, I will go with the one you suggested.

My concern is regarding the Motherboard, is it a good one? its not Sli supported (which isnt a big deal), but is is a good compatability with the CPU?

Also, how will windows XP work on this machine? I dont want to get Viista.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom