Building first comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I started building everything and basically it's all in place right now but I've run into a small issue.

The graphics card requires a 6pin and 8pin plug in from the power supply, but the only 8 pin I have from my PSU cannot reach the graphics card as it is connected to a 4pin plugged into the motherboard. I was thinking about getting a molex connector so that I can get another 8 pin to put in there, with a 6 pin from my PSU, but the XFX manual says not to use converters.

Is it really a big deal if I use a converter? There's really no other way I can do it unless I get a whole new PSU.. which is sort of out of the question.

I tried to boot it up considering that the motherboard has onboard graphics, just to test it out, but no display came on my screen, the computer just started beeping. I assumed it had to do with the graphics card not being plugged in, but should it work even without that?

omg, omg, ok, im not gonna bs you, i made a big ****ing mistake... when i saw that psu, i was almost sure it said it had two 6+2 pin pcie connetions (in your case you wouldve used one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin), when in reality it only has two 6-pin connections... at this point, the only way you will get your card to work is if you use the adapter that uses up two molex connections, or return the psu. im gonna go ahead and assume you dont want to return it, so the adapter that came with the card should work. everything else should work too..

i am very sorry, i should have double checked, then triple checked what i suggested.

Hey Muffin, don't worry about it man! I can't expect you to check every little detail for me. It's all on me, don't worry about it.

The weird thing is that the video card came with two 6 pin adapters, not one 6 pin and one 8 pin. It's really weird, but other people on Newegg have complained about the same thing.

But yeah, I think I'm gonna go buy a 8 pin adapter later so that I can hook that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom