building an external HDD with an Internal - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default building an external HDD with an Internal

I am considering to open the space in my HDD, so I've been looking at external HDD's and they get pretty pricey. However, I saw on a page that if I used a internal HDD and bought one of those portable cases for it, that would be cheaper than buying an external HDD.

Any suggestions on which is cheaper and better, what brands to buy, where from, how to build one?

I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking to buy one that is 500gb or up.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: building an external HDD with an Internal

Its generally cheaper although depends at times look at price/gb is the best rule external drives are normally have crippled speed read/write even if theyre are advertised as 7200rpm but if your not using a ESATA interface this doesn't matter as the usb or firewire speed will be the main limit.

Good brands/ models
Samsung F1 drives are fast and quiet
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives have the awesome 5 year warranty and a very good reputation for reliability
Western digital caviar drives are good the 640gb especially

For speed you want the least amount of platters and most ondrive memory in general. The actual casing doesn't matter much just get one that has the interface you want and seems reasonable robust if this is going to be a permanent addition to your desktop then you may want one with a fan on.
Closed Thread