Building an External Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making sure, you do know that the Internal Interface is IDE on that external case. Because of that your gonna need an IDE hard drive. And the specs says it Supports up to 400GB hard drives.

Maybe you should get a external case that supports sata instead.

why start with the enclosure and then pick a drive? that doesnt make much sense...

well, youre main two choices are gonna be Western Digital and Seagate... though there are some legit other-name ones... anyways...

id go with either something in the Seagate Barracuda or the WD Caviar lines... i have a WD drive and its never let me down...

make sure you get a case and a drive that are the same connection (SATA or IDE) but id go with SATA if i were you... also, if your mobo has SATA... might i recommend this enclosure:

Newegg.com - ICY DOCK MB559US-1SMB Aluminum body w/ partial plastic 3.5" Mirror Black USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Retail

it has an eSATA connection, which is wayway faster than USB, but it has USB too... just a nice feature on a nice enclosure... teamed with a nice HDD, its a great combo...
just make sure you read the specs on whatever you buy, and maybe the reviews for it too... thatll help alot...
good luck and hope i helped a little :) - RK

brinks: Thank you very much for your help. I didn't notice that heh. I think I'll take your advice and go with one that supports sata.

therascalking: I actually have next to no knowledge regarding things like this and picking out the enclosure seemed like an easier place to start than picking out the actual harddrive. Guess I was wrong though... =)
Going with the enclosure you recommended, I have picked out two harddrives that I hope will work with the enclosure. They are:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive - OEM

and

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive - OEM

I read the specs and the reviews on both items and they both seem alright to me. Because I am yet a novice at things like this though, I came back to inquire as to which would be a better drive.

Thank you again for your help! =)

P.S. The reason I am overlooking my lack of experience and trying to build my own external drive is because the reviews I read on multiple pre-made external harddrives were all very poor. Is it indeed true that pre-made harddrives are prone to failure and it is more reliable to build my own?

therascalking: I actually have next to no knowledge regarding things like this and picking out the enclosure seemed like an easier place to start than picking out the actual harddrive. Guess I was wrong though... =)

thats fine, no worries... better to ask before buying than once it breaks or something! haha

Going with the enclosure you recommended...

coolcool... thats the one that i have on my WD 500GB storage drive if its not in my case... no fan, so its really quiet (only the actual drive noise pretty much, which is minimal) and the aluminum design still dissipates heat pretty darn well... they make it in different color/finishes if you like too... the main reason i like it tho was the eSATA connectivity... tho its not suuuuper important on a storage drive, i sometimes put my Raptor in it, so... its alot faster, and i like it... make sure your case has eSATA tho, or room and one of its expansion bays open to route a SATA slot back there (it comes with a cable to do this :]) otherwise, its kinda just irrelevant... anyways, your harddrive choices!:

they both are good drives, youd be fine with either one... upon closer inspection, id take the seagate one probably, as it has slightly lower write, seek, and latency times... will you really notice this? no. does it give it a slight edge over the WD? sure. haha... thats just my pick tho... :)

P.S. The reason I am overlooking my lack of experience and trying to build my own external drive is because the reviews I read on multiple pre-made external harddrives were all very poor. Is it indeed true that pre-made harddrives are prone to failure and it is more reliable to build my own?

only way to get experience is to try :]
and yes, i personally dont like moooost prebuild external harddrives... theyre really just not worth it... the prices are typically a little bit lower, but... you get alot more out of building your own... you have more options, more mobility, more uses... plus, its just nice to be able to take it out and swap harddrives or choose whether you want both in your case or not... just all around, i like it better... but i mean, like almost all things it does come down to an element of opinion... that, with research, and you can always make your own choices...
but that doesnt mean we cant help :D
haha... enjoy, hope i helped - RK

Thank you oh so very much! You helped a lot and I think I learned a lot from this experience. Once I order and build this thing, I shall report back to you on how it went!
Thanks again from a very greatful noob. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom